Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-11-2020, 08:48 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Looks like a good candidate for electrolysis.
There was very little rust in there, only some discoloring. I could see bright steel on most of the surface. The clearance is so small that I wonder if anything could penetrate.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:00 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
I welded a pair of vise grips to a slide hammer for just such occasions.

Scott
I tried Vise Grip pliers and tapping with a hammer several times. The pliers slipped off the hardened pin every time.

I have an adapter for a slide hammer that has a 7/16-14 threaded hole. When needed, I can remove the screw from a Vise Grip and connect it to the adapter with a piece of threaded rod. This way I can use any one of an assortment if Vise Grip pliers with the slide hammer.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:02 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
...I have an adapter for a slide hammer that has a 7/16-14 threaded hole. When needed, I can remove the screw from a Vise Grip and connect it to the adapter with a piece of threaded rod. This way I can use any one of an assortment if Vise Grip pliers with the slide hammer...
We got one of those with an OTC slide hammer kit that we bought years (and years) go. Don't use it too often but it does come in handy sometimes...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-12-2020, 08:55 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
I question the seriousness of your comment however I will say that the duty of this pin is much too low to need such a fitting. I only used a bit of oil after cleaning the surfaces.
It's not for:
1. High wear
2. Grease
3. hi qty's of lube.

it's because of the poor design, when left on a shelf.

The parts break down someone posted showed what looked like a roll pin for retention.
Put a zerk in there.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
It's not for:
1. High wear
2. Grease
3. hi qty's of lube.

it's because of the poor design, when left on a shelf.

The parts break down someone posted showed what looked like a roll pin for retention.
Put a zerk in there.
It is unlikely I would be greasing this on a regular basis when it is in storage, I simply have too many other things going on here to be concerned about it. Moreover I wonder if grease could be injected into such a small clearance. My guess is the grease will not flow in there, it’s just too tight a fit.

Perhaps I should apply a bit of anti-seize instead of oil. The slot in the pin will have to do in case I need to hammer on it again in the future.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:27 AM

Could spray it down with Fluid Film
Old 02-12-2020, 04:12 PM
Blast this!

Shade may correct me but some of the auto greasers would grease 12 inch bushings with .0015 initial clearance .Pour the grease to them and run them in .
Old 02-12-2020, 04:59 PM
I can dig it

On a tight fit like that, grease isn't the solution....even with oil present, it's similar to 'wringing' gauge blocks, it becomes a surface to surface 'connection'. add a touch of rust, or gummy residue, and it can be tough to get them apart. We had tight fits like that on the diecasting tools where I worked 10 plus years ago, and older tools that had been oiled and in storage for a long time we would have similar issues to what this is.

I have an indexing fixture similar to this, and may be able to help you figure out the index plates that you are missing. I think I have the complete set for mine.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:08 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
I tried Vise Grip pliers and tapping with a hammer several times. The pliers slipped off the hardened pin every time.

I have an adapter for a slide hammer that has a 7/16-14 threaded hole. When needed, I can remove the screw from a Vise Grip and connect it to the adapter with a piece of threaded rod. This way I can use any one of an assortment if Vise Grip pliers with the slide hammer.
That is a good idea, I can see that for pulling jammed cotter pins out.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-13-2020, 09:44 AM
Elite Member

This is just an opinion, maybe what DD is getting at. Drilling a passageway to put grease under the pin will enable you to pump the pin out using the grease as a hydraulic fluid. If the hole the pin sits in is not blind or the pin is hollow, this will not work.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.