Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-29-2020, 07:01 PM
Made From Scratch

Default What is a good low cost 6010 or 6011 rod to try for general purpose welding?

I had to make a special set of horseshoes this morning helping the farrier and I had intended to just bring the MP210 to the barn with me and run it on 120V and use fluxcore as the welding was really minimal. Last night loading up I discovered I was pretty much out of fluxcore so I decided to to stick weld it.

Got to thinking that I haven't run the 210 on 120V for stick and decided to run some test beads. I grabbed a box of hobart brand 3/32 6011 out of the cabinet, and honestly felt like I barely knew how to weld. I have burned boxes and boxes of this stuff on my dad's old lincoln tombstone running AC and was always happy, but even after switching polarity and playing with the arc force settings I could not lay a bead I liked.

Somehow or another it seems I have only run 7018 on the MP210 as I remember really liking stick welding with it when I bought it. I was starting to think something was seriously wrong, and then I pulled some lincoln excalibur 7018 out and ran a bead that peeled its own slag on the first try, and survived being bent/beat on with a 4lb hammer.

So I took 7018 with me and did the job this morning but I would like to find something that digs deeper and works better on dirty shit to have on hand as well. Anyone recommend a basic 6010 or 6011 rod that runs well on DC and doesn't break the bank?
Old 01-29-2020, 07:08 PM
Auction Addict

I would go with 6010. It is a DC rod. Brands are like tools. You kind of get what you pay for.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-29-2020, 07:34 PM
Roving Reporter

If you can get a small quantity, try the Lincoln 6010 5P+. Much easier to get good results than with the brick red 6010. 10,000 pipelines can't be wrong.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:23 PM
SFT Historian

I'll just put this note out there.
The HF inverter I have doesn't like 6011 below 120 amps and may not run 6010 I ran out of 6010.

Any testing you do check the rods on 120V and 240 volt power, the volt amp curve may change.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
I'll just put this note out there.

The HF inverter I have doesn't like 6011 below 120 amps and may not run 6010 I ran out of 6010.

Any testing you do check the rods on 120V and 240 volt power, the volt amp curve may change.

+1. I have read a lot of comments that a lot of the inverters type welders do not run 6010/ 6011 very well. Or one will run while the other will not.

It has something to do with the Open circuit voltage I believe. 6010/ 6011 needs a higher voltage because of the type of flux on the rod, vs 7018, and the newer inverter based welders have a hard time with this. I remember watching a video, either weld.com or weldingtipsandtricks.com about this issue before.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 01-30-2020, 03:48 AM
Director of Languages

what about 6013. it's the goto farmers rod over this side of the world.

would highly reccomend Oerkilon Fincord M if you can get it, but probably not sold stateside?
Old 01-30-2020, 07:31 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Hobart rods....ugh right there.
They don't run even.

Try Platypus20's favorite airco 6011 (the white rod)
Old 01-30-2020, 07:33 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
what about 6013. it's the goto farmers rod over this side of the world.

would highly reccomend Oerkilon Fincord M if you can get it, but probably not sold stateside?
I dunno, but I cannot keep from trapping slag with them.

6011 for dirty (and the weld will be rough looking but hold) loud and splattery.

7014 for dead quiet, beautiful looking welds, on clean steel.
But trapping slag is pretty hard to doo.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:53 AM
Made From Scratch

The hobart has always run well on my old lincoln tombstone and is available at TSC which is more convenient than my LWS. The MP210 says it wants something fancier though

It seemed to run very hot and make a shallow wide puddle no matter what I did with it. The arc was also intermittent and stalled easily so maybe the voltage is the problem. I will have to try some other rods to find out.

I never cared for 6013, doesn't penetrate well and has a ton of slag. I'm sure if I practiced with it enough I'd figure it out but I save it for thin stuff.

I will check out some of the brands recommended and see what I can get my hands on.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:31 AM
Roving Reporter

Hmmmm, a little whoring around on welding forums suggests that the MP 210 is one of several inverters that do not like 6010. Seems like a combination of low OC voltage and inductance.

The low voltage seems to cause issues with 6011 too, but it will run 6011 at the upper end of the normal amperage range for a given rod size, but even so, the process is very finicky about arc length. Consistent short arc at high amps seems to be the trick. YMMV, just passing along what I found.