Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-05-2020, 03:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
It wasn't really doing that, more it was arguing a moot point, and cornfusing several.
If continuing to refer to voltages 110,220,.... that only exist as standard voltages in mostly 3rd world countries outside of North America is not confusing, what is?
Old 02-05-2020, 06:14 PM
Something's Fishy ...

But 110 and 220 exist today in North America.
The distribution grid is set up so that the voltage seen by each customer stays within tolerance throughout the complete day.
During periods of low usage it will rise towards 240 -245 and during high usage it will drop towards 220-230.
This range is affected by how far you are from the high voltage primary pick off point.
I live in a rural area. The 13kv feeder is 10 miles long and the conditions are very different at each end of that feeder but everywhere along it the voltage will stay within spec.
High end spec at the source end low end spec at the last farm on the line.
Also when it was built the load on that line was less than it is today making the swing even greater.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
But 110 and 220 exist today in North America.
The distribution grid is set up so that the voltage seen by each customer stays within tolerance throughout the complete day.
During periods of low usage it will rise towards 240 -245 and during high usage it will drop towards 220-230.
This range is affected by how far you are from the high voltage primary pick off point.
I live in a rural area. The 13kv feeder is 10 miles long and the conditions are very different at each end of that feeder but everywhere along it the voltage will stay within spec.
High end spec at the source end low end spec at the last farm on the line.
Also when it was built the load on that line was less than it is today making the swing even greater.
Show me where gear is still built for 110/220, besides ChiCom or some Eurocrap.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:44 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Gear is built to be turned by other gear.
Every light bulb, motor, appliance designed for "120 VAC" will work correctly
on a 110 volt supply similarly every 208/220/230/240 designed motor will run on 220.
I work on the electrical at a floating fish camp.
Our supply is 120/208 Y three phase. I distribute it as Line neutral line to each unit so lighte and receptacles get 120 VAC 240 volt hot water tanks and pumps get 208 and it all works.

Every motor built is designed to operate correctly when the applied voltage is within ANSI C84-1-2018 limits
The numbers on the motor just indicate the optimum voltage for the motor.
The different supply voltages are left over from when there was no grid and each local utility was a separate entity.
The engineer that set it up used the generators and transformers he could get resulting in 115/230 or 117/234(not really a common spec) or 120/240 as nominal voltages as long as what you got at your location was +- 7% of nominal it was acceptable.
we now have a North America wide grid which results in changing the system so everybody gets 120/240 NOMINAL
Old 02-07-2020, 05:45 AM
Roving Reporter

So now that we're into voltage variations, why does my plasma cutter shut down on a "low input voltage" error at 11:30 almost every day?

I am only a mile away from a tap off a 3 phase system which is +/- 20 miles from a big substation. FWIW, the error only lasts an hour or so ,but happens a lot.

I am not the only customer in the neighbourhood that has this problem.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
So now that we're into voltage variations, why does my plasma cutter shut down on a "low input voltage" error at 11:30 almost every day?

I am only a mile away from a tap off a 3 phase system which is +/- 20 miles from a big substation. FWIW, the error only lasts an hour or so ,but happens a lot.

I am not the only customer in the neighbourhood that has this problem.

Is there a big company around that has a shift change around that time and a lot of machines starting up?

At my last place of employment, we had morning settings on the welders and afternoon settings to get it to weld the same. That was the only thing that we could figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-07-2020, 11:58 AM
Elite Member

Cam, It could be people starting to cook dinner. When I was a youngster a local manufacturer had problems with their heat treating on the second shift. It turned out that the gas pressure dropped enough at dinner time, because everybody was cooking, to affect the heat treat. If the same thing is happening with the electric at that time of day, that could be your problem.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 02-11-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
NOMINAL
Word.

Gotta love the 110/220/120/240 Nazis. They're almost as much fun as punctuation Nazis.

What's 'pedantic' mean, Walter?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:09 PM
Gold Star Dad

As Gwiz posted, it bears a resemblance to a Castolin Eutectic welder. I have an extensive collection of old welder pics saved, and that adjustment handle is tell-tale.

In the fine print at the bottom front of the welder, are there any patent numbers or other information?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:19 PM
Gold Star Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
If continuing to refer to voltages 110,220,.... that only exist as standard voltages in mostly 3rd world countries outside of North America is not confusing, what is?
I think some areas in Japan are 100v. Thailand is 220, 50 HZ. When I was there 40 years ago, I was lucky to get maybe 170v in the evening. Had to use a multi-tap step-up transformer to get fluorescent lamps to light up. As the night wore on, it alarmed and I'd have to turn it down. Our present house in Thailand doesn't have a very good electric supply. When it gets really hot, there's not enough voltage to run an air conditioner. My wife and her neighbors petitioned the electric company to upgrade the transformer(s). That was 2 years ago and nothing has been done.

(And the city water was a joke. Leave the tap open for a few hours to get 5 gallons of water during the peak times.)