Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-22-2020, 08:20 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniweld View Post
Now I have to find the rebuild kit for this unit. I haven't had much luck with it so far, lots of Victor stuff (some will interchange) but not all the seals as a kit. Buying on eBay is a crap shoot for sure....
I would simply put everything in a flat rate box, and send it here:
https://www.facebook.com/EmpireTorchandRegulatorRepair

I walk in to drop stuff off, but they tell me they get stuff mailed/ups'ed
in/out every day.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:36 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Uniweld seems to me an active company, so I would call them and see about parts availability.

http://uniweld.com/

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 01-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Shade Tree Welder,

Thank you for the link and the info. I intend to disassemble the cutting torch once I receive it because of exactly what you said. I am concerned that even though he says he taped it off, I'm not taking any chances.

I will get some of that Brakleen Non-Chlorinated Brake parts cleaner to use as my cleaner as well.

Now I have to find the rebuild kit for this unit. I haven't had much luck with it so far, lots of Victor stuff (some will interchange) but not all the seals as a kit. Buying on eBay is a crap shoot for sure....
Hi Uniweld, welcome.
If I was in you shoes, and was concerned about oil and oxygen and explosions. I would do this:

Have you ever installed a car headlight and the box said, "Do not touch the glass with your fingers" ....and oops, you did. And you know that the skin oil is changed by the intense light into an acid that etches glass and pop goes the bulb.

So what you do is spray the bulb down well with ether, just starting fluid. Works very well as a solvent and evaporates cleanly.

Just my thoughts.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-22-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Uniweld seems to me an active company, so I would call them and see about parts availability.

http://uniweld.com/
I did talk with the company today and they gave me the part number for a rebuild kit with the common parts. Since I am not a distributor or rep for them, they won't sell it to me but they were very helpful in finding a distributor near me that could help.

So far, so good. Now I just have to get it in my hands and see how it looks.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:24 PM

Ironman, thank you!
Old 01-22-2020, 10:13 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
This is the cutting torch I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Uni...rdt=true&rt=nc

Why is everyone suspicious and of what?
As mentioned, spammers are weeded out fairly quickly. So a "brand name" handle smells of Chinese, etc. spammer self-promoting or something like that. If you like the name, keep it.
Also, feel free to post pics but host them here. Read the FAQs to see how. That way when a picture hosting site goes down, or starts charging for hosting or whatever, the picture is not "lost" resulting in a dead link.

That cutting torch look nice. I know I would never put that amount of work into a torch that I was only going to get $25 for... I wouldn't worry about the Brasso--it will just burn off or whatever.

I use denatured alcohol as a solvent for wiping metal parts. As mentioned, it can harm rubber or other compounds. But it evaps quick and is not as toxic as some solvents. Plus, I've built up a tolerance to alcohol over the years so there it that...

I WOULD take both cutting oxygen valves out and look at the seats and o-rings if any for damage. The lever is held in with a roll pin so be careful removing/installing that to get to the cutting valve. Put a socket on the other side for support. Also remove the tip and inspect.

I am assuming you have the matching handle that goes with this torch? There is variance between many manufacturers.

PS: as mentioned, there could be grit, cleaning goo INSIDE the torch and is why disassembly is recommended. Once the valves and tip are out, you can blow out the passageways with compressed air. I wouldn't disassemble more than that.

PPS: also as mentioned, if you do NOT have the matching handle for this, I would NOT buy the cutting head. The best way to get an O/A cutting/welding outfit is to buy a complete set of a common brand name. I hadn't really heard of the company "Uniweld" until your post.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 01-22-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:53 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
........I hadn't really heard of the company "Uniweld" until your post.
I am sure the torch set I inherited from my Dad is a Uniweld set. I think it may have come from Acklands originally, some 45 years ago.

Being that old, new tips are a bit hard to find......
Old 01-23-2020, 06:29 AM

mccutter; In my first few original posts I had the pictures and links to the product I bought for the shop. It is still made in good sized quantities because it is a common item sold at HVAC shops for light welding and brazing. Very good quality (as best I can tell) as I see these sets all over. Also, very portable and relatively easy to use.

I bought ours from Johnstone Supply:

https://www.johnstonesupply.com/stor...ep?pID=H85-441

If the link is still here, you can see this product is still actively sold. It works great in the field, but all the fittings are "A: size so it's hard to find more common parts for this set.

I want to use the kit for some light cutting and since it didn't come with the cutting torch, I needed to buy one and found the eBay one. The guy is very nice and answered all my questions and seems genuine, but I don't believe he does any brazing or welding - hence my concern with the way he cleaned the cutting torch and the possibility of a severe mishap with it being placed into service.

The cutting torch should fit as it is the correct model to attach to the handle provided in the KC100PT kit.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Last edited by Uniweld; 01-23-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Just adding screen shot of Johnstone pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3645.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	154260

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 01-23-2020, 07:53 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
I did talk with the company today and they gave me the part number for a rebuild kit with the common parts. Since I am not a distributor or rep for them, they won't sell it to me but they were very helpful in finding a distributor near me that could help.

So far, so good. Now I just have to get it in my hands and see how it looks.
Hence my suggestion for using the above linked repair place.

They did all the work as well, and were a better price.