Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-19-2020, 03:04 AM

Default Mig Choices

I’m an old dog. Stick is pretty much all I’ve done starting in the mid 1980’s. Yeah, I’ve gas welded several times, but stick is what I generally go to when I need to weld. When my hand was steadier I could weld sheet metal on DC- fairly decently. I have played around with a nice Miller mig when I was a maintenance man at a yarn mill for a while. But, I don’t really know migs. I’ve wanted one for years, but haven’t done it. Now is the time! Just a home/farm shop, not industrial and of course I’ll always have an arc-welder handy.

Transformer Hobart 140 Mig vs Inverter Klutch 140 Mig. $300 price difference at Northern, I will have a bottle on it. Thoughts??

Thanks!!
DD
Old 01-19-2020, 03:20 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

I've been welding since '69 but didn't start mig welding till the early 80s--all I ever used were professional machines...Miller, Lincoln and a bit of time on an Esab. I have zero experience with any of the cheap imports but one would have to assume that there is a reason why the big name welders are more money. I suspect that, with some limitations, the more money you spend the better machine you'll get. In any case a 140 amp machine isn't going to weld anything very thick...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-19-2020, 11:19 AM
Blast this!

Make sure what ever you buy has a cold torch .It will save he John Boy modification .I have a hot torch and it can be a pain .
Old 01-19-2020, 01:16 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Personally I wouldn't even consider something that had a hot torch--way too primitive for my taste.

In case the OP (or anybody else, for that matter) doesn't understand the difference; with a hot torch the wire is hot all the time, pulling the trigger just starts feeding it. With a cold torch the wire has no current and pulling the trigger energizes it and starts the feed...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-19-2020, 01:26 PM
The Real Deal

What are you gonna be welding??? 140amps isn't much
Old 01-19-2020, 02:50 PM
SFT Historian

The first thing on low end units is look at the wire feed motor unit, quite a few of them are just crap.

look at the work clamp it may give an idea of how cheap they may have gone on parts.

Then there is how easy will it be to get replacement tips, gun liner, diffuser.

I don't know anything about Klutch.
What I see on the net is that Klutch does not look appealing, or maybe you get what you pay for.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:57 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Hobart's are just Miller's with cheaper (chinese et al) components.

Many of the imports are improving for the Home/Farm use and are decent
machines. I am a fan of inverter technology.

What do you think you will be welding mostly?

I have not run hobbyist machines in the long time so I cannot reasonable
comment on either machine you mentioned.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 01-19-2020, 04:25 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
The first thing on low end units is look at the wire feed motor unit, quite a few of them are just crap.

Yes, there is a big difference Here's a picture of a Miller and a Lincoln 140. Everything black is plastic
I have both machines. I only run .023 wire in the lincoln, and it has stood up to sheet metal and ornamental work. I would never use it for serious welding. That's what stick or the Miller is for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lincoln 140.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	154155   Click image for larger version

Name:	22A feeder.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	154156  

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-20-2020, 02:55 AM

I was thinking about getting a cheaper machine just for light stuff and to learn with, but definitely put a bottle on it, no flux-core. And then, possibly get a more serious machine later. Like I said, I’ll always have an arc welder handy, even if I can’t get the old P&H up to snuff. BTW, I hope to dig into that sometime in the next couple of days. When I do, I’ll post to the other thread. And, I didn’t even know there was a “hot torch” mig...Very useful info in this thread. I Really appreciate the replies!! I think I’ll just hold off for now. See what’s up with the P&H, may have to drag out another, much smaller old welder and see if it still works, lol. Shouldn’t have sold my ole trusty “Tombstone!”
Old 01-20-2020, 03:06 AM

I don’t want to get the whole Ford, Chevy, Mopar thing going here...well, maybe a little
But, the blue looks a helluva lot better than the red.