Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-30-2019, 06:51 PM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 12,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm W View Post
"I'm gonna primarily be running stick but am also gonna keep some flux core wire loaded and on hand ."

I would figure with his above statement, he won't be running a shielding gas. I can only go by what he writes. I flunked mind reading, just ask my ex.
I read about fixing buckets and stuff.
" for general welding up to heavy equipment repairs/patches etc "

My neighbor does plenty of that, and runs gas shielded FC

I ran a little bit of all position gas shielded, man was that nice.
1" fillet straight up in the corner, in one pass.

1/4" plate welding....move fast.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-30-2019, 10:20 PM
greywynd's Avatar
greywynd greywynd is offline
I can dig it
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wainwright, Alberta
Posts: 4,972
Default

I chuckle now when I hear the term ‘heavy equipment’. One’s perspective changes a lot when surrounded by the stuff I work with now, versus what the ‘average’ heavy equipment is. Two of us have been working on a Cat 777F the last few days, and even at 100 ton nominal capacity, it now seems like a little truck. Guess it doesn’t help when next to it is a 793 (800 hours and the torque converter went, taking the tranny out), then beside that was an almost new 798AC (electric drive) with a 400 ton payload.


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-31-2019, 06:45 AM
Stickrunner76 Stickrunner76 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bradyville tn
Posts: 15
Default

Greywynd will a John Deere 648G2 meet your standards of HEAVY EQUIPMENT ? OR how about cat d6h or better yet old school cats like D8 with the pony ? I happen to know a lil bit bout equipment hoss ! Been around all my life and usually working on some of it daily !
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-31-2019, 06:48 AM
Stickrunner76 Stickrunner76 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bradyville tn
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
What shielding gas are you going to use ?
Won't be using shielding gas with flux core wire ! From my understanding flux core wire is setup like like stick/electrode welding .the shielding element/gas is made into it , so no gas is needed/required !
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-31-2019, 06:57 AM
Stickrunner76 Stickrunner76 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bradyville tn
Posts: 15
Default

Toprecycler as far as what type of machine am I getting ..... I'm looking at Vulcan omnipro and amico power mts205 multiprocess welder . I've welded / tried out / played with both .like $300 diff in price and honestly the amico mts205 done just as good as the higher prices Vulcan , and the mts205 was easier /more user friendly imo. Just had a better feel , more comfortable with it ! Kinda like a shotgun , I was raised/taught that no matter the price or brand . Which ever shot gun shoulders fast , comfortable and easiest/fastest to get on your point of aim/ Target then that's the gun you need and will the best with ! Good ole mossburg 500a pump was always my go to , even over dad's rem 1100 , 870 or his Browning sweet16 or Browning A5
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-31-2019, 06:59 AM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 12,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickrunner76 View Post
Won't be using shielding gas with flux core wire ! From my understanding flux core wire is setup like like stick/electrode welding .the shielding element/gas is made into it , so no gas is needed/required !
There are (2) kinds of flux core sir.

if you don't know, just ask !
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-31-2019, 08:24 AM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 4,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickrunner76 View Post
Toprecycler as far as what type of machine am I getting ..... I'm looking at Vulcan omnipro and amico power mts205 multiprocess welder . I've welded / tried out / played with both .like $300 diff in price and honestly the amico mts205 done just as good as the higher prices Vulcan , and the mts205 was easier /more user friendly imo. Just had a better feel , more comfortable with it ! Kinda like a shotgun , I was raised/taught that no matter the price or brand . Which ever shot gun shoulders fast , comfortable and easiest/fastest to get on your point of aim/ Target then that's the gun you need and will the best with ! Good ole mossburg 500a pump was always my go to , even over dad's rem 1100 , 870 or his Browning sweet16 or Browning A5


Both those welders sound good on the screen. I would appreciate a review after you get one. If I did more in my home shop, I probably would pick one up. I am just gun shy about getting one of the newer inverters. Keep thinking it will deteriorate faster from lack of use vs overuse in my home shop, and not work a year from now.

I have welded with one of the newer Lincoln small multiprocess welders. It seemed real nice compared to my 35 year old SP100 mig, and more capable on 110 v for sure, but I just can’t justify the price to buy one for as much as I am going to use it.

I would think any one of those welded should run the .035 self shielding flux core wire well.

They should run the dual shield flux core( needs gas) too, but warning, that stuff gets hot. At least the .060 wire I ran did. There are different types of dual shield flux core too. You will have to do your homework to find the one you want or need for the projects you will be working on.




Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-31-2019, 09:55 AM
moe1942's Avatar
moe1942 moe1942 is offline
Voice of Experience
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Alexandria, Louisiana
Posts: 11,033
Default

Plus 1 on dual shield...FC is a whole different world of welding..
__________________
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you... John Steinbeck

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-31-2019, 01:19 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 19,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickrunner76 View Post
Won't be using shielding gas with flux core wire ! From my understanding flux core wire is setup like like stick/electrode welding .the shielding element/gas is made into it , so no gas is needed/required !
Actually is comes in both flavors, gas shielded flux core and
self shielded flux core. 90%+ of the time the gas is CO2.

Some people only know one or the other and don't believe the
other exists.

The biggest mistake that welder make is they run Self-shielded
Flux core wire reverse polarity (DCEP). I have never seen a
self shielded flux core wire that should be run that way, everyone
I have run are DCEN or straight polarity the opposite of SMAW.

Gas-shielded are different and you have to know what wire you
have. Gas-shielded are often referred to as Dual Shield but that
is a trade name. Like facial tissue and Kleenex.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-31-2019, 01:21 PM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 12,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Actually is comes in both flavors, gas shielded flux core and
self shielded flux core. 90%+ of the time the gas is CO2.

Some people only know one or the other and don't believe the
other exists.

The biggest mistake that welder make is they run Self-shielded
Flux core wire reverse polarity (DCEP). I have never seen a
self shielded flux core wire that should be run that way, everyone
I have run are DCEN or straight polarity the opposite of SMAW.

Gas-shielded are different and you have to know what wire you
have. Gas-shielded are often referred to as Dual Shield but that
is a trade name. Like facial tissue and Kleenex.
You forgot the exclamation points !

! ! !

That is, if the Op is reading and not cut & pasting from google fu.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.