Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-30-2019, 01:53 AM

Default Flux core wire welding

Ok fellas I've ordered me a multiprocess welder . I'm gonna primarily be running stick but am also gonna keep some flux core wire loaded and on hand . My questions are as follows . What's a good diameter / size , brand etc for general welding up to heavy equipment repairs/patches etc . Also what's the difference in v drive and u drive ? Which drive is better or do you recommend and for what reasons ?any and all help/info is greatly appreciated . As you can tell I haven't done much wire welding( mig or flux ) and what bit of it I have done the welder/machine was already setup and ready to go !
Old 12-30-2019, 07:05 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

What shielding gas are you going to use ?
Old 12-30-2019, 07:18 AM
Administrator

If you are using flux core self shielding wire you will want grooved u rollers. It will grip and feed the wire without crushing it. And you want a light feed. You should be able to stop the wire. If you are using solid wire, the feed pressure should be enough to curl the wire when fed against a piece of wood.

You might want to stick with Lincoln wire vs a harbor freight wire. I just watched a weld.com video that Bob Moffit did with both wires and he did a cut and etch for fusion lines. The harbor freight wire had a couple of porosity issues, but probably would be fine for most home projects, but do you want to chance that?

What brand of machine are you getting. That might make a
Difference in size of wire that will run best. If dual voltage too, will make a difference. 220 volt will run much better than 110 for sure, but depends on what you are welding too. In my 110 volt old style wire Lincoln wire welder I am going to switch to .030 self shield wire when I run out of .035 because it the .030 ran a lot better on a cheaper 110 volt welder I had and sold.

The smaller wire will do fine up to about 1/4” material usually. Any heavier and you will want bigger wire to push more amps, so stick rod will probably be what you want anyways.

Watch some weld.com videos for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 12-30-2019, 10:10 AM
Administrator

https://youtu.be/L7YKyvw8IjE

This should link to the above mentioned utube video.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Also, one mistake I have made in the past repeatedly when using self shielding flux core wire was having to little stickout of the wire from the contact tip. Recommended usually 5/8- 3/4”. Reason being the flux in the wire needs to be preheated before hitting the arc to function properly. It seemed to work much better after I learned that and increase the wire stickout. After welding with my little 110 v wire welder for almost 30 years, I can still learn a thing or two.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:16 PM
The Real Deal

I am no help. I ran flux core one time in 75 and hated it and haven't used it sense. The flux core guys I have seen don't use a nozzle on their gun.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:28 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickrunner76 View Post
My questions are as follows . What's a good diameter / size , brand etc for general welding up to heavy equipment repairs/patches etc . Also what's the difference in v drive and u drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
If you are using flux core self shielding wire you will want grooved u rollers. It will grip and feed the wire without crushing it. And you want a light feed. You should be able to stop the wire. If you are using solid wire, the feed pressure should be enough to curl the wire when fed against a piece of wood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Also, one mistake I have made in the past repeatedly when using self shielding flux core wire was having to little stickout of the wire from the contact tip. Recommended usually 5/8- 3/4”. Reason being the flux in the wire needs to be preheated before hitting the arc to function properly. It seemed to work much better after I learned that and increase the wire stickout. After welding with my little 110 v wire welder for almost 30 years, I can still learn a thing or two.
Brian is spot on.

I would run 1/16" diameter wire for heavy welds. Also I have had good luck
with Hobart Fabshield 21B, Lincoln wire should be good too, but they have
some wires for thinner materials and some for thicker, so make sure you get
the correct one.

Also when you are not using your wire, it can absorb moisture so when not in
use you should put it in an air tight bag or in a rod oven to keep it dry.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 12-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
I am no help. I ran flux core one time in 75 and hated it and haven't used it sense. The flux core guys I have seen don't use a nozzle on their gun.
I sure can't argue with that. Last time for me was 2005.

I threw 2-40 pound rolls into the scrap after cutting a weld to check for porosity. I was welding bucket cutting edges in a remote location and flying gas bottles was a problem. But I went back to a stick, it works and gives a solid weld.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 12-30-2019, 06:05 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
What shielding gas are you going to use ?
I'll ask qty (1) more time.....
Old 12-30-2019, 06:40 PM
Elite Member

"I'm gonna primarily be running stick but am also gonna keep some flux core wire loaded and on hand ."

I would figure with his above statement, he won't be running a shielding gas. I can only go by what he writes. I flunked mind reading, just ask my ex.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!