Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 12-21-2019, 07:58 AM
Armchair Webbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Rod, thanks for the insight on renters. I have had some inkling that that is the thought process behind low rent situations. And here I have been thinking about maybe getting a couple rental houses, to help supplement my retirement income in twenty years. But done wrong, it would probably be the opposite. One thing I do know is, I can’t be the landlord. I need someone else to be the rent collector. I am just too nice for that.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
That is exactly what happened to a friend of my Dad. He bought two row houses in a not so terrible neighborhood back in the late 60's.

In fact, after my Dad had retired, he went to work, renovating the houses. I helped him in the summer and over the Christmas break. That was the last place he worked before he died.

Anyway, His friend was just too easy on the tenants and we later learned that, he lost both houses because, he couldn't keep up the mortgage payments.

Dave
Old 12-21-2019, 09:57 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
I am not as good as smith as I used to be simply because my mind is not as sharp as it was 20 years ago and I can't see in dim light worth beans.
We beg to differ with your self-assessment, Jenn! You are not giving yourself the benefit of the knowledge and wisdom you have acquired over the years! That ALWAYS stands for something. And the countless hours of muscle memory you have obtained at the end of the hammer is immeasurable! You got this, girl!

As for the eye issue try this: at night, go outside and look at things in your yard in the darkness. I mean turn out the lights and go outside and let your eyes adjust to the lack of light. It sounds like you live in a rural area so it should not be too hard to do while escaping light pollution. Go out there and look at the things in your yard, your truck, your equipment, your new shop, stuff on the ground, whatever. Let your pupils get big like an owl or cat. Take it all in. Walk around, look at the ground. In no time you will re-establish your night vision which should help with the dim light issue. And when in the forge, use tinted lenses to avoid the "burn" of the flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
And the lower the quality of the home in question, which almost always delivered a lower income, the more inclined he was to apply bandaids to open wounds so my job was often to do bandaid level repairs just to get by to the next tenant because those low rent houses attracted only low-rent mentality tenants. Those kinds of tenants were also of the mentality to do the most damage to the shitty old houses that were all they qualified to live in.
It is a damn shame so many people are granted the opportunity to live in housing they then take for granted. I've grown savage and bitter in my older age and these worthless fuckers can turn to ash as far as I am concerned... (rant over )

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 12-22-2019, 08:36 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
We beg to differ with your self-assessment, Jenn! You are not giving yourself the benefit of the knowledge and wisdom you have acquired over the years! That ALWAYS stands for something. And the countless hours of muscle memory you have obtained at the end of the hammer is immeasurable! You got this, girl!

As for the eye issue try this: at night, go outside and look at things in your yard in the darkness. I mean turn out the lights and go outside and let your eyes adjust to the lack of light. It sounds like you live in a rural area so it should not be too hard to do while escaping light pollution. Go out there and look at the things in your yard, your truck, your equipment, your new shop, stuff on the ground, whatever. Let your pupils get big like an owl or cat. Take it all in. Walk around, look at the ground. In no time you will re-establish your night vision which should help with the dim light issue. And when in the forge, use tinted lenses to avoid the "burn" of the flame.

It is a damn shame so many people are granted the opportunity to live in housing they then take for granted. I've grown savage and bitter in my older age and these worthless fuckers can turn to ash as far as I am concerned... (rant over )
When I was younger I didn't really understand.. I mean, the difference between.. I do, I can and I usta.. LOL..

sure i can still forge but I need a lot more seat time than I get.. Forging is one of those things that telling someone how and showing them, well unless you can do both.. I'm not a huge fan..

In other words.. When the time comes to where I am relegated to sitting in the chair yelling at the youngers to do it a different way and then can't stand up to show them. I'll hang up my heels.

As for the night and eye exercise.. That is great advice.. And if it were simply seeing in the dark.. That is a whole different avenue.

My problem is it takes my eyes long time to adjust between bright fire, bright metal and dark area.. It's simply age-related.. I'm just getting old.

It happens. Just means taking more time to get things done. Part of the aging process I guess.

Yesterday i went and picked up the finished chisel and today I was able to get 1/2 the video edited.

It will be a 2 part video and have stopped just with the raw forging of the chisel just before filing and heat treatment.

That will have to be a video for another day.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
When I was younger I didn't really understand.. I mean, the difference between.. I do, I can and I usta.. LOL..

My problem is it takes my eyes long time to adjust between bright fire, bright metal and dark area.. It's simply age-related.. I'm just getting old.

It happens. Just means taking more time to get things done. Part of the aging process I guess.

Yesterday i went and picked up the finished chisel and today I was able to get 1/2 the video edited.

It will be a 2 part video and have stopped just with the raw forging of the chisel just before filing and heat treatment.

That will have to be a video for another day.
Jenn, t's ok to get old learn to accept it and if you don't, you will end up injuring yourself often trying to do what you usta.
It is hard for me to say I can't do that, but I'm trying.
I usta have eyes like a cat, I worked almost 30 years underground and I thrived in low light. I used to ly in bed and laugh at my wife groping and banging into things trying to find the bed that i could see clearly. Now I have to have a nightlight to see the way to the can.

I have been wondering where you got wrought iron for your chisel, or am I wrong and it is mild steel?

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 12-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Jenn, t's ok to get old learn to accept it and if you don't, you will end up injuring yourself often trying to do what you usta.
It is hard for me to say I can't do that, but I'm trying.
I usta have eyes like a cat, I worked almost 30 years underground and I thrived in low light. I used to ly in bed and laugh at my wife groping and banging into things trying to find the bed that i could see clearly. Now I have to have a nightlight to see the way to the can.

I have been wondering where you got wrought iron for your chisel, or am I wrong and it is mild steel?
I've been seeing it more and more on the age thing. I'm still spry and can do many of the things. but now i can see it slipping.. I'm okay with that.. Not complaining. It just means that I have to practice all the time to be good vs once a week.

I've had Astigmatism since I was like 14. I also have scar tissue in both eyes. So it's funny because I can read near or far, but certain, lights like green LED's that are small all look the same. LIke the ones on the remote cable box.

Red is better, Blue and green are tougher.. So, for me.. It doesn't really matter whether the item is closer or farther the amount of distortion is the same. I was issued glasses for the problem when I was 16. Wore them for a day and when I took them off I could not see anything.

I then started training my eyes to SEE and it has paid off.. My vision hasn't really gotten any worse, but when I work at the forge it does take longer for the eyes to adjust.

The other thing I find is LED's make a weird kind of light that does not help. I don't have a problem when I run traditional Incandescent light bulbs.

Wrought iron here is a little easier to find on the sides of the road. Old mill sites, old factories.. Much of it was just dumped in piles and left.

There were a few guys from Indiana, Montana, and a few other older areas where they started removing old Earthen dams.. they were pulling out tons and tons of wrought iron..

also in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and the oil-rich states have amazing quantities of wrought iron near the old oil rigs. I know a guy who started pilfering the sites and has made off with more than just wrought iron. Old steam engines, cranes, etc, etc. Lots of that stuff was just abandoned.

I've got a bunch of old pieces and when I quit smithing gave away about 1 ton of it. Wish I had it now.

Anyhow the guy who's shop it is has some and he had some really nice 5/8" sq. If forged out real nice.. I have some 1" and 1.1/8" Sq to play with and to forge into smaller sizes as need be..

Sadly I missed out on a lot of finds that happened about 5 years ago. Bridge refit, an old-time smith shop that he buried about 5 tons of bars of different sizes under his shop.

Oh, nearly all the stuff I have in house is repurposed now.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.