Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-07-2019, 06:15 AM
Armchair Webbie

Default Pocket Welders

As the name suggests, you can practically, put it in your pocket. There's a guy on youtube from down under that did a pretty extensive test on several of them. His channel is Xyndu or something like that.

Two were pretty good and one was just junk. The one he liked the best was a Juba ZX7-200. He got his from Banggood but, I've seen them on ebay and Amazon too. They run between $65 to $100.

They're a little inverter-type machine. The results this guy was getting were impressive. He ran five 1/8" rods one after another and it barely got warm.

They're 240 volt only and are rated up to 200 amp output but, that figure is questionable. Still, he welded 1/4" steel with it, no problem. You have to watch it though, the Chinese put that same model number on a variety of machines and some are absolute junk.

Also, the welders he got, all had three-wire power cords. Some had plugs, some didn't. I saw some Juba machines that looked identical but, only had 2-wire cords.

The roof on my little metal welding shed collapsed about 10 years ago and even though they are covered, I'm not sure my old welders are still any good. Every year, I say I'm going to replace that shed but, something else always, needs doing that's more important.

I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these. they're so light and portable that I could just take it outside any time I need something welded for all the times that I need it. The thing only weighs a few pounds, comes with a shoulder strap and is roughly, 4" x 8" x 6" tall.

I know the Harbor Freight welders are probably better but, for the once or twice a year I need to weld something, I just can't justify shelling out that kind of money for a machine of the same capacity.

Any of you guys ever try one of these?

Dave
Old 12-07-2019, 08:07 AM

This is the first I hear of them. I am going to check out the info on them just out of curiosity. There are some unbranded/generic ones for sale on ebay for $49.39 with free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/c/2147230901. That one is shipped from China.
And here is Bangoods site on them: https://www.banggood.com/JUBA-ZX7-20...r_warehouse=CN
Their price is $89.99 for them with free shipping. Not sure were this one is shipped from.
This one is from amazon for $78.99 and free shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/ZX7-200-Porta.../dp/B079HWTJ26

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E

Last edited by astronut; 12-07-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:26 PM
Something's Fishy ...

we used to call Bic lighters pocket welders
Old 12-07-2019, 06:41 PM
Armchair Webbie

I left out a U on the Aussie's channel. His channel name is Xynudu.

Also, if these welders come with a plug, it's a European-type and it is indeed, grounded to the case. I only saw the picture from the back of the plug and the ground is a tab, not a prong like ours.

Now, to complicate matters for me anyway, Home Despot has their Arrow 10x10 "commercial grade," shed on sale for $1040 and it will fit on the slab that my old 10x9 shed sits on. It's guaranteed against rust-out for 15 years. By which time, I expect to be on the dirty side of the lawn. Decisions, decisions.

Dave
Old 12-08-2019, 12:57 AM
Lubrication Consultant

I talked one of my buddies into one of those chinses made pocket welders super tiny little jobber 200 amp and he runs it off his 6500-watt genny
for general-purpose farm and ranch stuff, it works well and he is tickled at its ability to run 6011's and smaller rod.

I had one for a little while just to test it out and got to say it worked well
I got it from china import for 58 bucks when they first were offered not I see them being offered for 100 to upwards of 200 by other distributors guess they caught on somewhat that they do work wonder when they will come out with a pocket MIG welder
Old 12-08-2019, 12:58 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
By which time, I expect to be on the dirty side of the lawn. Decisions, decisions.

Dave
lol
Dave, I have a similar "best if used by" dilemma on my hands though perhaps you wouldn't be wise to compete with me. My darling daughter asked if I would like to put a Ring doorbell that I just ordered) on my Christmas list instead of "I want it now". But I ordered it & it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

In this particular instance, my little security camera setup doesn't give me a decent picture of my front door & I'm tired of people ringing my bell early in the day because I am usually not ambulatory & do not have intercom either.
Thursday was the latest case in point; I was still in bed when they started pushing my button, Wilson wanted me to get out of bed but it takes me too long to get my rompers on these days. And in happened twice in one morning. So I want it now.

But that still leaves us with Christmas. What does a man in my precarious position choose for Christmas anyway?
Oh yeah, and my birthday comes 4 days later.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 12-08-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
lol

But that still leaves us with Christmas. What does a man in my precarious position choose for Christmas anyway?
Oh yeah, and my birthday comes 4 days later.
I dont know Rod but maybe spending time with family instead of gifts?

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 12-08-2019, 08:01 PM
Armchair Webbie

Well Rod, in my case, I would be stuffing my face with the finest pizza, hoagies and chocolate that money could buy! LOL.

I looked again, at that shed and it actually, has a 20 year warranty. I also, looked at the parts list. A total of 934 screws to install. Makes me wonder if I'll get it assembled before me or the warranty runs out. All this for a little 10x10 shed?

I may just go with a plastic shed. It's less than 6 inches deeper than the old one, a lot taller, $263 cheaper and far fewer fasteners. Almost all of the fasteners are inside so, I can sit on my rollator and scoot around to install most of them. The way they're designed, they're far les likely to leak as well.

By golly, I think I'm talking myself into something! Subject to change by supper time, though.

Dave
Old 12-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post

I looked again, at that shed and it actually, has a 20 year warranty. I also, looked at the parts list. A total of 934 screws to install. Makes me wonder if I'll get it assembled before me or the warranty runs out. All this for a little 10x10 shed?

I
Dave
934 screws would be done in a short time with a portable impact driver. I hardly use a screwdriver any more.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 12-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
934 screws would be done in a short time with a portable impact driver. I hardly use a screwdriver any more.
yes, they do go fast especially when your dropping half them on the ground