Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-01-2018, 09:30 AM
Elite Member

Default HF twin cylinder engine

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the HF twin cylinder electric start engine? It is usually 699.99 there is a coupon for it to be 599.99 and have pulled a 14 hp off of a mower and thought this might be an option.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:26 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the HF twin cylinder electric start engine? It is usually 699.99 there is a coupon for it to be 599.99 and have pulled a 14 hp off of a mower and thought this might be an option.
I wouldn't blink an eye about buying one use them to replace Honda engines on commercial mortar mixers.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:21 PM
Auction Addict

I've only bought and used the single cylinder Predator engine, but if they are as reliable as the single, I don't think you can go wrong with buying one.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 02-02-2018, 08:20 AM
Elite Member

The only thing I have heard, and it applies to both engines, is run it about two minutes and change the oil. There will be tiny flecks of aluminum that will come out with the oil. Some folks don't do this and have no problems, but for the cost of oil why not.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 02-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Ooooh....14 hp swapped for a 22 hp twin.

Someone's doing an upgrade...
Old 02-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
I wouldn't blink an eye about buying one use them to replace Honda engines on commercial mortar mixers.
I actually thought I would be proactive on this purchase and ask advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I've only bought and used the single cylinder Predator engine, but if they are as reliable as the single, I don't think you can go wrong with buying one.
The very first one I ever actually handled one of my students bought for a go cart he built in the school shop. That thing started on the first pull every time and I was very impressed with it. But have been reading the smaller cu aren't as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm W View Post
The only thing I have heard, and it applies to both engines, is run it about two minutes and change the oil. There will be tiny flecks of aluminum that will come out with the oil. Some folks don't do this and have no problems, but for the cost of oil why not.
I will remember to do this thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Ooooh....14 hp swapped for a 22 hp twin.

Someone's doing an upgrade...
Yeah, finally trying to upgrade the IH Cub 154.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Blast this!

If you find the adapters to take it to 1 7/16 of the old onan post it here .I may be looking to repower a 2500 Gehl skid loader .
Old 02-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

If you are not going one for one on size, check your bolt hole lay out.
I have only gone with same HP swaps and they fit the B&S holes perfectly.
I think there ere "standard" lay outs per HP range, but you may be going out of the box.
A light weight cardboard pattern of your mounting holes and a trip to the store may be s good ides.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
If you find the adapters to take it to 1 7/16 of the old onan post it here .I may be looking to repower a 2500 Gehl skid loader .
I figure I will be visiting with my local machine shop before this is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
If you are not going one for one on size, check your bolt hole lay out.
I have only gone with same HP swaps and they fit the B&S holes perfectly.
I think there ere "standard" lay outs per HP range, but you may be going out of the box.
A light weight cardboard pattern of your mounting holes and a trip to the store may be s good ides.
I am usually in over my head on most of my projects, so this one is not any different. At this point, with positive thoughts concerning this engine, I am just going to buy it, get it home and go from there.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Lubrication Consultant

I would be more concerned about the shaft output size than the mounting bolt pattern as the mounting pattern can be somewhat easier to readjust to.... than down sizing the shaft size .
but the engine you inquired about I've used a few of them and all seem to hold up as well as the hondadog we replaced them with.