Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 11-26-2019, 06:57 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashercharged View Post
I hate to revive such an old thread, but I figured it was better to do so than start a new one. I have one of these machines too (May Tire Matic M62-B) and have always had trouble mounting tires.

I can't put enough weight onto that arm that swings down and hooks onto the rim. It seems like you also have to pull that arm against the rim to keep that hook latched onto the rim while you spin the tire and that hook forces the bead onto the rim. That hook (and therefore arm) keep popping out.

I've seen the 3 YouTube videos (only found those 3), 2 from the same guy, but both those machines are slightly different from mine. Davemotohead's blue one looks like it has a modified arm that adjusts and locks, and the other guy's doesn't have this arm at all.

This is the only site I've found anywhere with any info on this machine (those manuals are a Godsend - thanks!) so I was hoping someone out there could give us some insight on mounting!
When putting the tire ON, try letting the hook alone, take your hand and shove the part of the tire hooked under the bead more under there.

WATCH YOUR FINGERS !
Old 01-05-2020, 09:29 AM

Default May tire machine modifications

Hi Thrasher,
I have one of these. Bought it from Competition Tire at MIS Speedway a couple years ago. It had been modified to work with wide racing tires and rims. The arm actually has different mounting positions to compensate for wide rims/tires. The arm is made of pipe. They had a shop make a removable tip on the arm that has a piece of plastic rod in it so that it does not wear the rim as much as the original steel tip. The plastic rod is replaced as needed.

I just made a stub shaft that fits into the arm so that I can use a plastic "duck head" type head. A single 1/4" bolt holds the shaft in the arm. I turned a slight groove in the stub shaft for the set screws from the head to engage. This head uses a 30mm mounting diameter. There are other sizes of mounting diameters out there.

https://www.banggood.com/Black-Tire-...r_warehouse=CN

I've not tried it yet - just got the shaft made last week.

I've been a bit surprised that the motor stalls easily. I use tire lube and a standard tire mop to lube the tire. It still can be quite fussy to get tires on and off a rim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Competition tire head 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	153766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Competition tire head 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	153767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Competition tire head 3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	153768   Click image for larger version

Name:	My stub shaft.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	153769   Click image for larger version

Name:	My stub shaft with duck head.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	153770  

Old 01-05-2020, 11:04 AM

Hot rodding a May tire matic….. interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to post pix and the write up.

As far as the motor stalling, I assume it's because the larger than designed for
tires your running on it. I would suggest trying a smaller pulley on the motor
to slow things down, and bring up the torque a little bit.

Be carefull however, you can rip a cord if you get too carried away.

Think "why is this going so hard ?" Your probably doing something wrong.

Fighting large truck tires (without any machine) I learned "The more you fight a
tire, the worse it get's, and the tire always will win"
Old 01-12-2020, 02:38 AM

Hi, I use mine for std automotive tires. I know all too well about semi tires. I've owned semi's for 40 years. I also ran a gravel mine so ended up dealing with end loader tires - tube type and tubeless.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:46 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonO View Post
Hi, I use mine for std automotive tires. I know all too well about semi tires. I've owned semi's for 40 years. I also ran a gravel mine so ended up dealing with end loader tires - tube type and tubeless.
Welcome to the Site.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:23 AM

Default Modifications to a May tire machine

Here are a couple photos of what was done to my May tire machine to make it able to mount/dismount racing tires and was used at MIS raceway. A plate was made that allows the arm to mount at different heights. The mounting hole is a key hole so that the arm can be re-positioned easily without tools. The effective arm length can be changed also. Sorry I don't know how to make the one image show in a vertical fashion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200118_113442.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	154148   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200118_113501.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	154149  

Last edited by GWIZ; 01-19-2020 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Rot pic
Old 01-19-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonO View Post
Here are a couple photos of what was done to my May tire machine to make it able to mount/dismount racing tires and was used at MIS raceway. A plate was made that allows the arm to mount at different heights. The mounting hole is a key hole so that the arm can be re-positioned easily without tools. The effective arm length can be changed also. Sorry I don't know how to make the one image show in a vertical fashion.
Very nice work.

However, I am thinking about "making one from scratch".

I also purchased the tire-a-matic next revision, the "tower" is tapered, and there are other improvements.

1. a little rod with a button on top, comes up in the upper right corner of the top tray, push down and a leetle finger comes out to stop the bottom wheel
from coming up (when you want to only use the top wheel) instead of sticking a tire iron in there to flick that latch.

2. foot pedal also goes "up" with your toe, to reverse the motor.

My plan is to make the shaft horizontal (keep wheel in same orientation as on vehicle) much like the big tire machine: https://www.coatsgarage.com/hit9000
https://rotarylift.com/product/r560/
This one is the smallest in this style, and should be easier to duplicate:
https://www.hunter.com/heavy-duty/ti...ngers/tcx625hd