Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-06-2020, 09:30 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
I bet you were running DCEP and not DCEN.
I have diagnosed that problem more than a
few times.
Nope.
I was on electrode negative. That was the first thing that welders said when I asked for advise on it.
As it has a very weak gas shield a slight breeze, even intermittently, can ruin your weld
And dirty steel embedded with rock and minerals, is hopeless as there is not enough flux to trap impurities.
I went to 1/4" 7018 for the job, and it was perfect.
I then took the rolls home and tried to figure it out, and eventually scrapped all the rolls.
It can't compare to bare wire and gas....if it could every fab shop would use it.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-06-2020, 11:11 AM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Nope.
I was on electrode negative. That was the first thing that welders said when I asked for advise on it.
As it has a very weak gas shield a slight breeze, even intermittently, can ruin your weld
And steel embedded with rock and minerals, is hopeless as there is not enough flux to trap impurities.
I went to 1/4" 7018 for the job, and it was perfect.
I then took the rolls home and tried to figure it out, and eventually scrapped all the rolls.
It can't compare to bare wire and gas....if it could every fab shop would use it.
I ran a lot of 1/4" back in the 70s and used a old GE AC welder with the crank on the top to run it. And it was pretty
Old 01-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustythe4x4 View Post
I run.035 flux core. Have for years. I can make some pretty welds, and I've made welds I've been so embarrassed by I ground them out and redid them.
Flux core isnt just for your crappy 110 volt harbor freight machine... i run it in my CP250/S52 100% duty cycle Miller, and it makes a HUGE difference. I'm no professional, but i can pretend.
Bottom line, i run it because I'm CHEAP. Its about 1/3 the price. I have also been running without the shielding nozzle (just bare tip) for several years now. Its cleaner, and you can get into spots you cant when running it.

In no way am i endorsing to abandon shielding gas, I'm just saying you can do it with success. It's like any process. The more you practice it, the better you get.
I agree with you.

I run 0.045 and 0.062 and I have the FC gun that Miller makes. I run it off my TB 302D and my MM 350P.

I get great welds with self-shielded wire.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 01-12-2020, 08:58 PM
Big Iron

21b works ok, but my go to is either coreshield8 or nr233