Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 12-31-2019, 11:30 AM

Default Front end loader

Question for the brain trust here. I have purchased a B6100 Kubota tractor (15hp) and it sure looks like it needs a front end loader. I have a loader mocked up in wood and am looking at metal for loader arms. I have in my inventory, pallet racking. It is 1.625x4 with .090 wall thickness. I am thinking max load capacity would be about 5-600lbs. Do you think this would be adequate?
Forgot to add. The arms would be 30" horizontal and then a gusset/hyd cyl mount and then a 40" arm that drops down 60* to the ground.
H

Last edited by Bountyhunter; 12-31-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:35 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
question for the brain trust here. I have purchased a b6100 kubota tractor (15hp) and it sure looks like it needs a front end loader. I have a loader mocked up in wood and am looking at metal for loader arms. I have in my inventory, pallet racking. It is 1.625x4 with .090 wall thickness. I am thinking max load capacity would be about 5-600lbs. Do you think this would be adequate?

H
no.....
Old 12-31-2019, 03:08 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Before I built a loader I would seriously look around for a used one. Starting from scratch you need the mounting frame, loader arms, bucket, hydraulic pump, reservoir, control valve and all the hoses. Certainly doable but not a simple task.

In any case, if you're going to go to all that trouble, I wouldn't mess with the racking--not enough strength in my opinion. I've got a 15 HP Yanmar and the loader is made from 4" x 2" x 1/8" and 3" x 2" x 1/8" HSS tubing and there are times when I think that's not heavy enough. On my loader the two main upright frame members are used as the reservoir...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-01-2020, 01:03 AM

I found a used one in Idaho. 3K US plus I hydraulics. I'm pretty sure I can do better than that.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:13 AM
Auction Addict

I think Ironman has a tractor like yours. He could give you all the dimensions to make your own.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:22 AM
Administrator

I think it might be, if it was braced right depending on design. If that is all you had to work with, you could make it work. But if you can get ahold of some tubing, that would make everything easier.

But you do not need to overdo it on heavy stuff. I have a B6100 ( I think) with front end loader, and it is surprising very weak in the lifting department. Does not take much to lift rear wheels in the air, and they are loaded with beet juice. So if you make the frame too thick of material, you just used up most of your lifting capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 01-01-2020, 09:43 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Harold, try this site
There are people here who have done this.
I'm not sure that I like pallet racking for this, too light. I would rather have .125 wall
If you build for 600lb you will pick up 1000, unless you set the pressure down so you can't.

Ooops, I see you are already there

Sub Frame fabrication
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/f...t=front+loader

Homemade loader builds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyp29lICB_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Av6V3Sn0-k

Also check out the hyd pump capacity on this unit. I thing the volume may be too low which will give a very slow loader.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson

Last edited by Ironman; 01-01-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:50 AM

Thank you for the replies. I have not cut the racking so it is good for another day. I just added 2x4x.125 tubing onto my materials list. I just want to do this once.

H
Old 01-02-2020, 07:37 AM
Urban Gunfighter

Several things to consider. The loader has to lift and support its own weight plus the 600 you want to lift, bucket curl forces are generally a lot higher than lift forces, and also think about being able to withstand the arms being forced into a pile of dirt or rock, and also bouncing as you ferry a load around. Look to a factory loader for geometry, thickness, and mounting.
It is easy to overload the front axle, or break the tractor in half if done wrong.

If you can find one, a Korean import brand called Ansung was decent as a substitute for the oems on Kubotas, should you want to seek more commercial options.

Sent from my SM-G920V using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 01-02-2020, 11:18 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Yesterday I had to go into the container where my tractor is locked up so I took a closer look at the loader. The frame which attaches to the tractor itself is made of 4"x2" tube but the loader arms themselves are only 3"x2"--thought they were a bit heavier. I've never had any way of weighing what the loader can pick up but I doubt that it's more than 550-600 lbs. tops...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?