Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 11-27-2019, 12:13 PM
Elite Member

yeah it does; might wanna find a hot knife if you need to cut that stuff, it tends to fray out otherwise. I found a hot knife that fits weller soldering guns, then promptly put it someplace that doesn't exist in THIS plane

IIRC, the 25' 1-1/2" stuff (after a few "smoothing" passes) covers all but a couple feet of the 30' gun. Mine covers the block at gun end (3m electrical tape keeps it from slipping off) -

When you price replacement cost of the cable ass'y, $20 seems pretty reasonable ... Steve
Old 12-03-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
"the zipper is what let go on the nylon one."

I have this one on my 30A, works well. Chinese finger puzzle type, scrunch it up and it gets fat enough to slide over connectors, then pull it tight and smooth it out a few times. No zipper OR snaps to catch on stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Techflex-1-1-...18&s=hi&sr=1-2

HTH... Steve
Thanks for the tip. Got it installed today. Mine only measures to about 23’ when stretched out on the cables though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	542FDE3D-583B-4130-A735-44816676C1FE.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	153302  
Old 12-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Elite Member

Mine came up short too, don't recall how much - I "massaged" the sleeve maybe 3 times, each time gaining a bit more. Two people helps, one to anchor the sleeve at the gun and the other doing the massage/pulling.

I left the welder end un-protected and cobbled up a second lead hanger from a steel garden hose hanger and some square tube mounted opposite the factory hanger (my 252 has the "dual running gear" - got tired of dealing with all 3 leads on one hanger) - added a gun holder (just under the hose hanger, but still allows opening the side cover of the welder), and the extra stiffness from the cable sleeve soon taught me to put the gun in the holder, then wrap the leads up on the hanger ends first, with the center being the last thing wrapped on the hanger.

Reason for the above - I keep the 30A connected to the welder with same .035" hard wire (no aluminum for me yet) - lets me grab the longer gun when a project needs more than the 15' gun - the mm252 ain't real "portable" off of concrete (or at least, plywood)

Got a couple pics somewhere, but I'm in the middle of a bunch of changes to my music/computer crap, I'll post the pics when I dig myself out.

BTW, if you need/want more of the cable covered, you can always add a second piece of sleeve - just overlap a few inches, massage it snug and wrap the "splice" with electrical tape... Steve

Last edited by BukitCase; 12-04-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Zach View Post
Thanks for the tip...
That looks like a "newer" snout on an older housing. The older housings have the trigger lock and sliding cover. Newer housings have no lock and a hinged cover.

Mostly everything is upgradeable/downgradeable with these. The spoolcans are not bulletproof but can be successfully repaired with epoxy. Don't bother asking me how I know... I do have a NIB "spare" ready to go on so the epoxied will now last forever!

I think I have some spares I'll put together for you and Gimpy. I'll PM when I do...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 12-04-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
That looks like a "newer" snout on an older housing. The older housings have the trigger lock and sliding cover. Newer housings have no lock and a hinged cover.

Mostly everything is upgradeable/downgradeable with these. The spoolcans are not bulletproof but can be successfully repaired with epoxy. Don't bother asking me how I know... I do have a NIB "spare" ready to go on so the epoxied will now last forever!

I think I have some spares I'll put together for you and Gimpy. I'll PM when I do...
It is old. Built in ‘95/‘96. I didn’t like the old style nozzle so I bought the newer style and put it on there.

I am still interested in an extension cable if you are able to find one.