Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 10-27-2019, 06:43 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

Default New shop

It's taken a long time to finally get here but things are finally coming together. 30x40, 12 ft walls, 12 ft roll up door and a 6 inch concrete slab. I'm doing a minimal wiring job this week and then my tools start moving in.

The old corn crib to the right will become my new blacksmith shop. It needs some structural reinforcement but it's got a lot of character.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191018_144608.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	152710  

Last edited by tnmike; 10-27-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:19 AM
The Real Deal

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2019, 07:38 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Is going to feel good to get your tools in.
Word of warning, through. I heard the term 'minimal wiring.' I did the same in 2009 and I am still running extension cords across the floor to power the plasma and such. There is always something to do and finishing gets put aside.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 10-27-2019, 08:17 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

One light switched at the man door and one gfci outlet. That is the NEC minimum. The main reason is to get the inspector out of my business.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:39 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike View Post
One light switched at the man door and one gfci outlet. That is the NEC minimum. The main reason is to get the inspector out of my business.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 10-27-2019, 11:36 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

I was talking to a local electrician here the other day. A normal new house requires around $7,000 in material to wire. That figure does not include labor. I have a degree in electrical engineering and have not taken an NEC code class in some time. I don't keep up with it and don't want to. That being said, some of the changes are just stupid. It's no wonder it costs so much. I won't get into arc fault breakers but will discuss this. All switches now require a neutral be run to them whether it is used or not. If it's a single pole switch you cannot run a 12/2 romex cable to it and mark the white wire black. A 12/3 must be run and the neutral terminated in a wire nut to accommodate future automatic switches. Another idiotic change is gfcI outlet's in garages even overhead outlets that cannot be reached. Ie garage door opener or plug in shop lights. It's changes like this that are driving the cost up. Its regulation run amok.

And my final opinion for the day is: I will never put a freezer on a gfci outlet. I don't care where it is. Too many breakers and outlets are made in China and are prone to nuisance tripping. The power quality of my REA is beyond terrible and contributes to the problem. Take that for what's it's worth. I have learned the hard way

Last edited by tnmike; 10-27-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:12 PM
I can dig it

We had a power outage here the other night for about an hour during a windstorm. When it came back on, we were short one bathroom light, and one bedroom light. The GFI outlet in the OTHER bathroom had tripped and needed to be reset. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 10-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

It takes 5 ma of current to trip a gfci outlet. The REA here has so many loose and missing neutrals it's amazing. Guess where some of that return current goes? They left a span of primary distribution neutral that had broken lay on the ground six spans above my house for a year.

It may work in a perfect world but in an imperfect world it may not. I am not going to risk a freezer full of beef to find out.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:46 AM

Nice shop!
The problem is that with open space everyone has something that needs to be put somewhere. Soon, you're tripping over "stuff".
It is nice to have a place to work.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S