Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-12-2020, 09:24 PM

Default Opinions on drill press

This guy near me has this 16 speed with a Tapmatic on it. He doesn't know the brand but I am thinking Jet from the white color, plus the model number comes back Jet when Googled. He says it works and wants $300. I'm supposed to go see it Saturday. I can't tell what size the Tapmatic is. I already have a Model 70 chuck mount Tapmatic and could use a smaller one like a 50X although the one in the pic looks like a Jacobs taper mount, not my first choice but I could live with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200212_152855.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	154781   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200212_152904.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	154782   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200212_152914.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	154783   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200212_152917.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	154784  
Old 02-12-2020, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a good price. Those tapmatics are $$, at least for the name brand ones. I picked up one years ago at an foreclosure auction from one of my old jobs. I picked it up for $75, but unfortunately the extra collets were not with it. Typical auctioning not keeping parts together. Figured the regular price was around $700. Also picked up a $1200 retail drill bit sharpener for $75. Helped that I knew what they were for the online only auction.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-12-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Sounds like a good price. Those tapmatics are $$, at least for the name brand ones. I picked up one years ago at an foreclosure auction from one of my old jobs. I picked it up for $75, but unfortunately the extra collets were not with it. Typical auctioning not keeping parts together. Figured the regular price was around $700. Also picked up a $1200 retail drill bit sharpener for $75. Helped that I knew what they were for the online only auction.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Yes my Tapmatic 70X is like new but missing the wrench kit, I paid $300 for it. I'll bet there's no wrench kit with this one either!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:16 PM
Post Fiend

That is about a $100-$200 press at auction. Tapmatic maybe $100ish. Depends on how much money is in the room. I would be concerned it has water/moisture in the Tapper as evidenced by the surface rust on the table...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 02-12-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
That is about a $100-$200 press at auction. Tapmatic maybe $100ish. Depends on how much money is in the room. I would be concerned it has water/moisture in the Tapper as evidenced by the surface rust on the table...
I'll have to check that, he has had in in the yard under a tarp. I might offer $200. I think I made a mistake on the make, I think it is Enco although I don't know if that makes any difference anymore. Enco and Jet look the same to me.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:09 AM
Twice the size--half the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I'll have to check that, he has had in in the yard under a tarp. I might offer $200. I think I made a mistake on the make, I think it is Enco although I don't know if that makes any difference anymore. Enco and Jet look the same to me.
Throw ShopFox in there as a potential too. They've updated their paint jobs to have a bit more black in them to make them stand out, but the older gear had a tendency to look like the Jet stuff.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 02-13-2020, 10:37 AM
I can dig it

Some of the tapmatics are like drill chucks, and have jt tapers that then have what arbor you want added in. Never tried to take one apart though to see if it’s do-able. I have two tapmatics, I want to say that one doesn’t have an arbor, will try to look today and see.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 02-13-2020, 02:05 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
...Some of the tapmatics are like drill chucks, and have jt tapers that then have what arbor you want added in. Never tried to take one apart though to see if it’s do-able...
I've never seen a manual (as opposed to CNC) Tapmatic head with an integral arbour. I think they all come with a Jacobs Taper socket so you can install whatever arbour you need...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-13-2020, 09:18 PM

So I should just be able to remove the tapmatic from the drill arbor, install a chuck onto the drill and purchase an arbor to install on the Tapmatic that will chuck into the drill?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Elite Member

If you care about the DP itself, I'd be asking WTF that piece of pipe is holding up and WHY... Steve