Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-28-2020, 11:34 PM

Default What welder is this please help

Got this guy from yardsale can not figure out what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200128_200355_HDR.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	154451   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200125_185345_HDR.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	154452   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200128_200405_HDR.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	154453   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200128_200414.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	154454  

Last edited by GWIZ; 01-29-2020 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Rot pic
Old 01-29-2020, 02:28 AM

A big old AC ( stick welder) 230 volts input. By the colors, I think it could be an old Miller. It is a transformer based machine and that makes it big,heavy and liable to only be reliable for 40 or 50 years when working properly.Also when working properly relatively cheap to run,ie cheaper electrical bill.

Australia where I come from, 230 volt is household supply, but I understand that on your side of the pond its something like 110 volts. The unit is more suited to almost continous working in a big shed with a heavy duty power supply.The local guys will be along shortly and tell you more on that side of it.

Ok! I know nothing of your abilities or skills but it seems to me that if you need to ask, that your electrical knowledge needed to get the unit operational (if that's your intent) might not be sufficient to repair/assemble the pictured machine by yourself with regard to electrical safety.

I can only suggest If you don't know what is what, get qualified electrical help instead of trying to have a go your self.

The live power source in a machine like that is enough to make your very dead and it will likely hurt a lot before you die,if you make an error.

I am not trying to be a smart arse or pick a fight with you but feel compelled to say trying to learn how to assemble the machine via a Forum like this and make it work safely is not a task for amateurs.

At the same time I acknowledge there are many knowledgeable people here on the Shop Floor Talk Forum and I am sure they will advise you not to work on it with out skilled help.

Have a nice day
Ozwelder
Old 01-29-2020, 09:13 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZWELDER View Post
A big old AC ( stick welder) 230 volts input. By the colors, I think it could be an old Miller. It is a transformer based machine and that makes it big,heavy and liable to only be reliable for 40 or 50 years when working properly.Also when working properly relatively cheap to run,ie cheaper electrical bill.

Australia where I come from, 230 volt is household supply, but I understand that on your side of the pond its something like 110 volts. The unit is more suited to almost continous working in a big shed with a heavy duty power supply.The local guys will be along shortly and tell you more on that side of it.

Ok! I know nothing of your abilities or skills but it seems to me that if you need to ask, that your electrical knowledge needed to get the unit operational (if that's your intent) might not be sufficient to repair/assemble the pictured machine by yourself with regard to electrical safety.

I can only suggest If you don't know what is what, get qualified electrical help instead of trying to have a go your self.

The live power source in a machine like that is enough to make your very dead and it will likely hurt a lot before you die,if you make an error.

I am not trying to be a smart arse or pick a fight with you but feel compelled to say trying to learn how to assemble the machine via a Forum like this and make it work safely is not a task for amateurs.

At the same time I acknowledge there are many knowledgeable people here on the Shop Floor Talk Forum and I am sure they will advise you not to work on it with out skilled help.

Have a nice day
Ozwelder
People in the US ignorantly refer to voltages as 110V, or 220V, but they are pre WWII voltages, today standard residential voltage is 120/240V. Then you get into other voltages 120/240V 3Ø, 208Y/120V, 480Y/277V. The only ones still using 110V are the Brits with their building site transformers, & each leg is 55V, to run 110V portable power tools.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:51 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
People in the US ignorantly refer to voltages as 110V, or 220V, but they are pre WWII voltages, today standard residential voltage is 120/240V. Then you get into other voltages 120/240V 3Ø, 208Y/120V, 480Y/277V. The only ones still using 110V are the Brits with their building site transformers, & each leg is 55V, to run 110V portable power tools.
Who cares ?

How does this little rant of yours actually help or contribute to the OP's question ?
Old 01-29-2020, 01:11 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Who cares ?

How does this little rant of yours actually help or contribute to the OP's question ?
Nothing wrong with a little more information, also helps keep the reply/post count up something SFT needs.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:04 PM

Default What welder is this please help

Yep, you got that right!!!!
Old 02-05-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Nothing wrong with a little more information, also helps keep the reply/post count up something SFT needs.
It wasn't really doing that, more it was arguing a moot point, and cornfusing several.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:51 AM
SFT Historian

Welcome to the Site.

1) Maybe this thing,
other than that looks like it is made pretty good (assuming it is copper wound).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00_600x450.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	154455  
Old 01-29-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Welcome to the Site.

1) Maybe this thing,
other than that looks like it is made pretty good (assuming it is copper wound).
Good catch "G".

I have seen that also as a miller, check their website for a manual
"rod runner" or some other name I think.

225 to 295 was a marketing fad, seems everyone figured out how to upsize the winding a wee bit more (or lower the duty cycle) so to match the others.

IIRC century started the
"race to 295"
Old 01-29-2020, 12:19 PM
Administrator

110/ 120= same thing in my book. I was taught in school that AC voltages tolerances were +- 10%, so it’s right in the ballpark.

But I better state this, I am not a licensed electrician, I just act as though I am one sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden