Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H80N View Post
Why not buy a replica??... then you could carve on it and glue on 59 Caddy tailfins to your hearts content with no danger??
Because I want it to shoot....the purpose behind a gun that doesn't shoot (other than something historical)?

Quote:
There are people that have taken all the measurements... built a solid model in CAD and then cut aluminum...

would not be a great leap to extend the beavertail in the SolidWorks model and cut a custom frame to match your dreams...

http://www.cncguns.com/projects/beretta92fs.html

this link is very interesting... and looks doable...

NO Braze... No Weld.. No Bondo.. No BS... Just solid Aluminum...
This is my favorite idea. But is it legal to copy beretta's design? Sounds dubious.

Quote:
So, YES, a little tack weld on the bumper of your truck, CAN in fact
keep it from running.

Your little heat input...is gonna be much more than you think it is,
warping your slide rails a very real possibility.

Your "expert" that brazed it....was his the exact same material ?
IE: 7075 aluminum forging ?
Yes, I only call him the expert because he did the very same thing nearly everyone here is saying is impossible.

Quote:
Why doesn't his "expert" do his gun?
Because he's flakey and doesn't like the prospect of making some free bonus money?

Quote:
You bunch of "SAFETY SALLYS", always wanting to ruin someone's good time and from the immature attitude of the OP, like he wouldn't blame someone else when this thing goes BOOM in his face!! :rol leyes:
Speaking of immature attitude. I was done being sarcastic after post #1 but seems I've attracted the resident troll. Allow me to be the better man.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:03 AM
Below Wholesale

Ok I will go a different way then everyone else. Square off the existing tail and cut a dovetail slot. Take the material for the extension and make a matching dovetail. You would break the frame before the dovetail let loose.

Ideally this would be done by machine, but aluminum is very easy to work with. This could be done with noting more than files and patience.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:52 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
Ok I will go a different way then everyone else. Square off the existing tail and cut a dovetail slot. Take the material for the extension and make a matching dovetail. You would break the frame before the dovetail let loose.

Ideally this would be done by machine, but aluminum is very easy to work with. This could be done with noting more than files and patience.
Yep, thats about the best.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 AM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Page View Post
This is my favorite idea. But is it legal to copy beretta's design? Sounds dubious.
Well ... the design is more than 18 years old... so patents should have run out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92

as far as copyright.. I would imagine that if you do not call it "Beretta" and are not selling them as such.. they would probably not bother you

there are some line for line copies out there by other makers.. they do not seem to be harassed by Beretta for their actions...
these are questions that you might address on one of the CNC gun forums..

(after all.. how many 1911 or PPK or AR copies are out there?? with no legal hassles??)

YET ANOTHER APPROACH....

you could buy one of the versions with rhe stainless steel frame... and have that beavertail extension TIG welded to the frame...
Stainless welds beautifully...

Quote:
Speaking of immature attitude. I was done being sarcastic after post #1 but seems I've attracted the resident troll. Allow me to be the better man.
As far as attitude goes... in some parts of the world... that is thought of as HUMOR...

Immature?? possibly??.... but take it in the light spirit it was intended.. and remove the ramrod from your backside... retract your slashers..

A SMILE WOULD NOT KILL YA!! ...

Rather than getting your tender parts all red and itchy... lighten up.. life is too short...enjoy it.. most of us here are too old to get excited about mortal combat anyway...

NOTE: Please see Moe's TAGLINE

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)

Last edited by H80N; 10-15-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:06 PM

I haven't read the whole thread ... but ... why again, exactly, are you risking warping, and thus possibly ruining the gun ... for a cosmetic modification?

– Just Wondering
Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
I haven't read the whole thread ... but ... why, exactly, are you risking warping, and thus possibly ruining the gun ... for a cosmetic modification?

– Just Wondering
Read the WHOLE thread.... it contains the answer..

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 10-15-2013, 05:59 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:

I just want my gun to have some unique flair, because as we all know, the gun rules are as follows:

1. Practice safety for safe practice
2. The coolest looking gun is the best gun
3. And that's it, there are no more rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
I haven't read the whole thread ... but ... why again, exactly, are you risking warping, and thus possibly ruining the gun ... for a cosmetic modification?

– Just Wondering
I believe it is very much like those people who just have to turn the rims inside out on their low riders or those people who paint their anvils.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Lord of the Minions

I was in err mentioning the use of a Spectrography test for determining alloy content of AL. which would leave a smallish 1/4" or so diameter burn mark on the material. I was told that we now use a Conductivity test of sorts that is truly non-destructive with regards to any marks or mars left on the piece being tested. I have not been around this equipment, but it seems this is the latest and greatest. That said, a good NDI shop will have access to this equipment.

Although, testing for it's hardness number, it would seem that the use of a Rockwell Hardness testing proceedure would still need to be done and that of course leaves tiny prick marks in an out of the way spot if possible.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
those people who paint their anvils.
Or Forksnatches.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 PM

I got someone who is going to cnc a new frame with the changes I've asked.

For the 50% of you that actually contributed something useful to my thread, I thank you. You've done me a great service.

For the other 50%, dumbass pukes, who have 'I didn't go far enough in life' syndrome that feel like they need to insult others on the Internet because of an idea, just to feel like a man...you also have my thanks because you remind me of how refreshing and rare it is to actually get some useful info from someone who isn't just burping out shit onto a keyboard and hitting "reply to thread" Yes you have my thanks, and also my pity. Keep discouraging people from learning. The real professionals will step in and pick up your slack.

I got what I need. We're done here.

/thread

Tags
braze, brazing, filing, handgun