Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2022, 06:51 PM
JBFab JBFab is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 1,659
Default Aluminum surface finish

Working on a little project with a lot of flat surfaces. Mostly 1/8 6061 with a bunch of welding. I'm doing my best not to scratch it up too bad while I'm working on it, but thinking about how I'm going to finish it when I'm done.

I had thought about picking up a burnisher from horrible fright, but was also thinking about using a Scotch Brite pad on my RO sander. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
__________________
I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-07-2022, 07:12 PM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 6,343
Default

Depends on what type of look you are going for. Once you start scratching it with anything, you will be committed to doing the whole piece to make it look uniform. It’s really a pain when you want a polished mirror finish.

A RO sander will leave a pretty good scratched finished.

One trick I’ve learned with aluminum and sandpaper, is to have a wax candle and use it on the pad. It helps to not load up the paper. Works really good on grinder sander pads for preparing the ends.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-2022, 08:07 PM
JBFab JBFab is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 1,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Depends on what type of look you are going for. Once you start scratching it with anything, you will be committed to doing the whole piece to make it look uniform. It’s really a pain when you want a polished mirror finish.

A RO sander will leave a pretty good scratched finished.

One trick I’ve learned with aluminum and sandpaper, is to have a wax candle and use it on the pad. It helps to not load up the paper. Works really good on grinder sander pads for preparing the ends.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surface finish isn't real important. Just looking for uniform without a lot of effort.

I use Irish Spring on my abrasives. Smells great!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
__________________
I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2022, 02:02 AM
mccutter's Avatar
mccutter mccutter is offline
Do I have a life?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 10,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Surface finish isn't real important. Just looking for uniform without a lot of effort.

I use Irish Spring on my abrasives. Smells great!
and the lassies love it!

How about a maroon scotchbrite pad on a longer sanding block and lightly draw it in one direction over the surface?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	165918  
__________________

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2022, 07:15 AM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 22,478
Default

Norton version, I have used this with great results for a brushed finish, use it
in a variable speed grinder and you and keep the heat to a minimum.

https://www.nortonabrasives.com/en-u...rbor-hole-disc
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2022, 07:52 AM
JBFab JBFab is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 1,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
and the lassies love it!



How about a maroon scotchbrite pad on a longer sanding block and lightly draw it in one direction over the surface?
That was my first thought. I'll have to try some.e of the suggestions here.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
__________________
I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.