Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Members Only > SFT Information

SFT Search:   

Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Greenbuggy
Default Invoicing? How do YOU do it?

I'm curious how those of you who run your own companies do your invoicing. The shop I work at uses paper invoices, but I would like to, for my sandblasting and other side work, computerize invoices so that I can change things around until I find a setup that works well for me.

That said, I'm curious what you guys use for invoicing software? Tried downloading and using several trials from downloads.com, however most of them seem to cater towards labor-only or item-only sales, rather than separating the invoice between parts and labor as using both is pretty common to the side-work that I do (fixing cars, sandblasting and welding). Not that I am currently charging taxes on material items, but in the future I hope and expect to be and having the two (parts and labor) separated for that cause will probably be pretty important
Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Elite Member

Why not use excel to itemize it?

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Lord of the Minions

G'buggy, I found several useful programs for just that while using the key search words "small trades business software".

If I can find my program after having re-loaded this computer, I'll post back. Most probably, what I need is on the farm computer.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

I used paper invoices for many moons. After I got me first compooter, momma made an Excel worksheet for all the invoicing. We used that for maybe 5-6 years. Last year, we tried Quickbooks Simple Start. It works ok enough. Was a bit difficult to make the transition for me, but swmbo did well enough to jump in feets first with it. I kinda have it down now. It does a lot of tabulating for you...handy at tax time.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 04-07-2008, 12:08 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

I use paper invoices mainly due to the fact I am at the customers home or ofice when doing the invoicing . I would recomend you look at someplace like staples or one of the other office type stores . I started out with 2 part NCR invoices from Stapples which are labeled contractors invoices and have seperate areas for labor and materials plus an area to write what ya did and a place in the labor area to put your times down. ( I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND YOU DONT CHARGE SALES TAX AS THAT OPENS A WHOOOOLE NEW CAN OF WORMS YOU DONT WANT TO OPEN ). I pay taxes on materials and equipment but I dont charge taxes .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM
there has to be an answer

I have been a Quickbooks user for years.

I would highly recommend the program. It easily handles what you outlined.

Bill
Old 04-07-2008, 12:23 PM

Another vote for quickbooks pro. It works on a network. I keep the good puter in the house office, and an old garage sale one in the shop. That way when the dust and grime kills the shop computer, every thing is safe and sound on the one in the safer enviroment.(know on wood)
Just remenber to back up your files on a regular basis, on both machines.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:16 PM

Thumbs up Quickbooks

Another vote for quickbooks
Old 04-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Holder of only Official Titles

If you are on a budget, you can give this a whirl.

http://www.ideawins.com/downloads1.aspx

It is microsoft offfice accounting express... Might do what you are looking for, and if not, hey, it is free.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:48 PM

Quickbooks Retail..easy to set up, plenty of features to allow it to 'grow' with you