Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 08-31-2007, 01:20 AM
Elite Member

Default OCC... just wow

I work in a CMM and CNC machine shop. Even we have questionable practices, but nothing like I saw on OCC this evening.
I could not believe it but they let one of their HAAS VF vertical mills run over night un attended. Coolant lines (which my machine does not have??) plugged and soaked the shop floor during the evening.

This is just beyond stupid. You should NEVER let an automated milling machine run unattended. Its just not safe! What happens if there was a nitrogen leak and the tool just dropped out of the spindle and kept going?

Old 08-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

i love the way those guys grind everything to fit,and never wear any safety equipment ,gogles,ear muffs,face sheilds.
Randy
Old 08-31-2007, 08:45 AM
I can dig it

Lots of places I've worked we run CNC unattended. Typically mills and edm (wire or ram), biggest headache is if the power goes out, sometimes figuring out where it was in the program can be fun. Nevr had a problem, other than a tool chipping prematurely, and having to rerun the program to finish the part.

A plugged coolant line, though messy, isn't the end of the world. A spindle release could be messy though, but everything I recall running had either a manual lock, or air/mechanical.

Mark
Old 08-31-2007, 05:16 PM
King of Procrastinators

Randy, its television! The stars screw it up and the real workers fix it right so the stars can put it on the bike. "Cut!! That's not a take. Do it again!!!" "Okay, this time let's get it right people". "Action!!"
Old 08-31-2007, 05:37 PM
The Right Stuff

Send a message via AIM to tigman250 Send a message via MSN to tigman250

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Lots of places I've worked we run CNC unattended. Typically mills and edm (wire or ram), biggest headache is if the power goes out, sometimes figuring out where it was in the program can be fun. Nevr had a problem, other than a tool chipping prematurely, and having to rerun the program to finish the part.

A plugged coolant line, though messy, isn't the end of the world. A spindle release could be messy though, but everything I recall running had either a manual lock, or air/mechanical.

Mark
yep, i used to do 3-D machining where there could be literally thousands of pages of code for one 10"X20" part. it wasen't uncommon for the machine to run 5 days non stop, i would see it for my 12 hr shift then it was on it's own again until morning.

i will agree though they are a bunch of morons

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dabar39
Thumbs down OCC needs to go away

These guys have the nerve to call themselves fabricators, when the show first aired they bought every part and piece from outside vendors, added some cute little trinket and called themselves fabricators and bike builders. Now that they have more money than sense, they have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of machinery to make all the parts for them, they still call themselves fabricators. Let's see them build something by hand from the ground up, the way a real fabricator does it.

I am really surprised that the Discovery Channel and their lawyers allow them to do all of the unsafe practices they do on air. My biggest beef with them is that they make it look so simple on the show and that any normal guy can do it. There is way too many people going out and buying welders and thinking that they can weld cause Paulie does it on OCC. Entirely way too many unsafe practices going on, too many people "learning" from watching these clowns that have no clue themselves. I would love to see one of their bikes in a few years, see how they hold up, that is if they make it a couple of years. Just my opinion, nothing more. Dave

I am what I am, deal with it!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Searching for the Standard of Purity

When I was younger back in Europe I build bikes too.Mostly off road.But did one chopper too.So I have idea what it take to build good bike. On OCC you can hear them saying how bike is beautiful and run awesome.Then you can see test run and uncomfortable driving position.Most of the time with no rear suspension, yet they still claim how good it is. This is just Holywood. Beautyfull show piece.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:23 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
I am really surprised that the Discovery Channel and their lawyers allow them to do all of the unsafe practices they do on air. My biggest beef with them is that they make it look so simple on the show and that any normal guy can do it. There is way too many people going out and buying welders and thinking that they can weld cause Paulie does it on OCC. Entirely way too many unsafe practices going on, too many people "learning" from watching these clowns that have no clue themselves. I would love to see one of their bikes in a few years, see how they hold up, that is if they make it a couple of years. Just my opinion, nothing more. Dave
I suggest an letter, E-mail or snail mail, to the Discovery Channel about this safety issue and etc. Their reply should be interesting.

Biden & Harris is our enemies favorite candidates

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php
Old 08-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

i'll tell you who the real fabricator on TV is,its that Marcel dude that floyd cotterpin takes his sheet metal too.
that old guy can make some cool stuff.him and his son.
no yelling,no crying,no fishing or skeet shooting,just get it done fabrication.
Randy
Old 09-01-2007, 04:10 AM
Elite Member

I forgot to mention, we cant leave parts unattended because of strict iso 9000 certs. We do air craft/ space parts and even the guys that walk away for more then 10 minutes get in deep ****. Accountability at its best...

Im a computer tech and the one thing I know is systems. I would NEVER trust a machine that running the hardware HAAS does to leave it alone for hours...