Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-28-2007, 05:57 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
yup, has tabs on the bumper and the top hooks with a winch.
So, to pick the bale, he let's the spear rotate down, backs up and stabs it, then winches the top back towards the truck, lifting the bale? Sounds simple enough.

Nice rig LF'.
LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:47 AM
tnfarmboy

Nice!! From a user standpoint I don't know about those big gussets though. How did you make the holes...plasma?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhiway View Post
So, to pick the bale, he let's the spear rotate down, backs up and stabs it, then winches the top back towards the truck, lifting the bale? Sounds simple enough.

Nice rig LF'.
LW
You got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfarmboy View Post
Nice!! From a user standpoint I don't know about those big gussets though. How did you make the holes...plasma?
What's wrong with the gussets? Holes are punched.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:59 PM
tnfarmboy

Well, there's nothing really wrong with them, just seems like they may interfere with getting full penetration in some circumstances, mainly when using it on a truck, I'd guess. If the bale is not up against something on the other side it may be hard to get full pen. and if ya don't, when you start lifting, the bale may spin and that may or may not make it to where you need to pull out and take another stab. Before I got a tractor with a loader I experianced some restab situations especially when unloading bales from a trailer. The gussets are just the first thing I noticed...I'm not dissin ya, that is awesome work!! Some folk's bales are so loose it almost wouldn't matter if you didn't point the spear, then again, this year some are so full of sticks and briars they just about ain't worth moving either way. Do you have a punch or did you take the PL's somewhere?

Last edited by tnfarmboy; 10-28-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:19 AM

The bottom spears stick out farther than the gussets so I don't think the bale would spin even if it didn't get full penetration. I punched the plates here at work since we're slow right now. I cut the spears here too cause I was bored I took everything home to weld up though. I got everything I would have needed to build this at home but it's just easier here at work. I would've had to drill or torch the holes at home.