Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-30-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Mounting a diesel compressor on a tandem trailer.

I am in the process of placing a diesel compressor on a 12' tandem axle trailer. Easily removal, axle directly on frame and draw bar bolted on frame.

I will not attempt this modification, taking to a shop, however, i would like to know the best possible method to have this done.

Under the compressor, we have oil & hydraulic drains, holes must be made on the dimond flooring on the tandem for access.

How would you (the Pros) adivise me on this mod. I plan to place it flush with the end of the tanded, allowing me maximum room for other equipment.

My trailer is 6'4" ulitily trailer 12' long with custom deck over setup. deck sits over the axles. Had to go this route because of clearance issues. Trailer is rated 7000 lbs, (2 3500 lbs axles) I plan to place roughly around 3300-4000 lbs. on this utility trailer. I know its not a heavy duty one like pictured below, but do you think it will do the job?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7afa_1.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	21930   Click image for larger version

Name:	c9c1_1.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	21931   Click image for larger version

Name:	equip_185_2.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	21932   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled2.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	21933  

Last edited by Perfecto1; 03-30-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Lord of the Minions

P'fecto, is this by any chance similiar to a thread posted on another site awhile back? Or possibly the same scenario?

FWIW, it's kind of (well, really) hard to answer with specific answers with seeming general questions of so many different issues in play.

Quote:
I am in the process of placing a diesel compressor on a 12' tandem axle trailer. Easily removal, axle directly on frame and draw bar bolted on frame.

I will not attempt this modification, taking to a shop, however, i would like to know the best possible method to have this done.
Maybe it's because I'm tired from the days ot work, but I'm not making much sense of these 2 sentences and/or what your asking. A sketch maybe? Or more information?

Quote:
Under the compressor, we have oil & hydraulic drains, holes must be made on the dimond flooring on the tandem for access.
Your going to find this to be a royal pain having to crawl under a trailer to dump fluids.

In the past I've owned a few of the commercial/pro compressors for blasting and commercial painting and found that trying to make a trailer to be able to carry everything just didn't work out for me. Not to say one couldn't make it work. I always tried to keep that screaming engine and compressor as far away from where I was blasting/painting as possible. Moving a compressor as a single unit is much easier than moving a larger carry all unit.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:03 AM

Perfecto,

1. I am assuming you will buy a trailer with wood decking.
2. Remove wood directly beneath area that compressor will occupy.
3. Fabricate a carrier that would allow you to "mate" the compressor to the carrier. I would look at some sort of a male/female assymbly that could be pinned together.
4. Set unit in place and secure.

With the open access you provide in the above scenario your are ready to go .

I am guessing you will remove the axle/s? There are compressors built for your needs that are much more compact.

Good luck,

Tom
Old 03-31-2007, 08:38 AM

LW

This is a similar thread, but now ive decided to place the compressor on the trailer itself. Before i wanted to fabricate a new tongue.

What i am trying to say is that I plan to place a diesel compressor on a tandem axle trailer. The axle on the compressor is easily removable, the draw bar on the compressors frame is just bolted on.

The pot itself weights around 420 lbs, which is a pain to lift up on pickup bed. This trailer will have a side gate, so it can easily roll off without much effort. I also have space on the trailer for my compressor aftercooler, drains, and maybe a dessicant dryer down the road. Makes a compact setup under 1 trailer.

Dumping of fluids is 1 of the issues right now, i know its going to be a pain, but, im left with no other choice.

Did you see the pics i attached? it has a setup similar to what I am trying to achieve.

Plasa Guy

I am buying a trailer with diamond flooring. I seen how trailers with wood decking look just after a few years.

let me post a few more pics. I thinking these other companies have the compressor sitting on the flooring,
Old 03-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Mender of the Yellow Iron

Location: Belton South Carolina Home of the Standpipe Festival

The fluid dumping issue can be easily solved with flex tube and drain cocks creating a remote drain system. On the other hand placement of the compressor is going to be dictated by axle placement(proper tounge weight) this varies between a goose neck and a bumper pull. Lots of factors to concider.But by all means you need trailer brakes weather they are surge/electric or whatever brakes will be needed unless you're pulling with a semi.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:39 PM

Wrenchbender,

Trailer will have electric brakes on both axles.

The compressor will be placed towards the rear of the trailer, if you take a look at the pics of the tandem, it works out fine. Both axles are towards the rear. Practically no serious weight on tongue.

how does this drain system work? the bottom of the compressor has a drain plug for the oil and the hydraulics. would i replace the drain plugs with these tubes?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Blast this!

Set the compressor on the axles to balence. Use the pot to load tongue.Hoses ect whereever. Media ? will it be carried in truck.A lot of compressors come with a remote drain for the engine oil .Most srew into the pan and have a 1/4 turn valve with a hose .My sullair does but the IR doesn't.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:34 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

You can probably reach the drain from the top, drive over the drain pan.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Mender of the Yellow Iron

Location: Belton South Carolina Home of the Standpipe Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfecto1
Wrenchbender,

how does this drain system work? the bottom of the compressor has a drain plug for the oil and the hydraulics. would i replace the drain plugs with these tubes?
Exactly we use hydraulic hoses for this on many hard to reach drain plugs. Insert an adapter install the hose running the opposite end to an easy to reach place and cap it. Be sure to support the hose on each end as not to stress the threads in the oilpan or hyd. tank.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:49 PM

could you possibily make list of what parts i might need?