Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-12-2020, 07:55 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I tend to agree with the others on your compressor. Unless you are running a rock drill.

You need to decide on how much air you will need first. My shop uses a 18 cfm Quincy piston compressor, and I have never needed more air unless sandblasting. That is best left to those who want to eat the dust, I have found.

Also there is a term - ampacity, used to calculate out how much is really required in electric heat because all heaters are not on simultaneously.
Everything you have described will run on a 200 amp service. As a one man shop you are not using more than one high draw machine at a time. If you rent out space they need their own metering.

Power costs never go down, they always go up.
And also, as the left gets a stranglehold on the country, power costs will go up astronomically. They do this by subsidizing these ridiculous green projects to the tune of 3-4 times the normal cost per kw.
Many people in Onterrible have had to leave their homes, or chose between food and electricity, because of this.
Also if this is an industrial power supply, as most 3 phase are, you need to think about demand metering. This is always used here in commercial applications. It results in higher costs for commercial users.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 08-12-2020, 09:07 AM
Blast this!

If the Co-op is running power ,what is your up front cost for 3 phase ? Then what is demand rate per month ? I wanted to put 3 phase in my shop when I had it . The electric company wanted 3500.00 for a 35 foot run with the 3 phase transformers already on the pole they would pull from . I did not do it . Demand rate would have been 85.00 per month .
Old 08-13-2020, 12:05 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
I would think if you got 3 phase, you should be covered for any load. It will have two 110v single lines, with a Wild 240V leg.

But like others have mentioned, what is your electric company’s rate for having the Three Phase meter there. My electric company charges me $30 every month wether or not I use any electricity, just to cover the cost of bringing me the power lines to have electric available when I need it. I can imagine that the 3 phase meter could be upwards of $60 a month base.

Ultimately, equipment does run more efficiently on Higher voltages, but you are still buying the electricity by the watt, and you will be using close to the same wattage wether you are running your air compressor on 120v or 240 volts. The difference is you are splitting the amperage draw on two lines vs one line, so you can use smaller wires with the higher voltage.

I know you are collecting tools to use, but are you going make this an expensive hobby, or going to turn this into a business someday.

If you have the option to get 3 phase now, it will probably be the easiest to work with the rest of your life, and be the cheapest to put in now than later, but only you can answer the question whether you can have that meter sitting there year round costing $$.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
120/240V 3 phase has 2, 120 volt legs with a 208V high leg, & 240V between any 2 phases, if 110V the high leg would be 190V, with 220V between any 2 phases.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
120/240V 3 phase has 2, 120 volt legs with a 208V high leg, & 240V between any 2 phases, if 110V the high leg would be 190V, with 220V between any 2 phases.
I never heard of this, and it doesn't sound physically possible.

If you have 3 phases 120 degrees apart, the phase to phase voltage will always be 1.73 times the phase to neutral voltage. Phase to neutral=120V means phase to phase=208V. Phase to phase=480V means phase to neutral=277V.

Delta means there is no neutral, and you only have the three phase wires and a ground.

High leg or wild leg means one of the phase to phase windings has a grounded center tap to make a fake neutral. One example of this could be 208V phase to phase, with 104V phase to ``neutral'' for those two phases, and much more than 104V to ``neutral'' from the high leg.

High leg is pretty much obsolete, and there is no telling what old arrangements are out there, but the available voltages are always going to be set by the constraints in my second paragraph.

If you have single phase, you have a single winding transformer and it has a grounded center tap to make the neutral. The two hot legs are 180 degrees apart, and in North America the usual voltage is 240V hot to hot and 120V from either hot to neutral.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:07 AM
Elite Member

:-) All this confusion about "power distribution" comes about from "Machinists" playing "Electricians" without the appropriate language and knowledge. :-)
Occasionally it happens in the "plumbing" field also. :-)
...lew...
Old 08-14-2020, 10:24 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
:-) All this confusion about "power distribution" comes about from "Machinists" playing "Electricians" without the appropriate language and knowledge. :-)
...lew...

Ah, yes,

The engaging process of intellectual curiosity, and learning, and teaching, and collaborating. This seems to be why most of us participate in this forum. I love it!
Old 08-14-2020, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post

...lew...

Guilty as charged.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 08-14-2020, 09:31 PM
Elite Member

I just knew that would bring a response, but where is Gerry's comment?? :-)
...lew...
Old 08-15-2020, 04:51 PM
Kibble King

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord

Ok. What im after on my wish list is high leg 240 three phase. I need to talk with an engineer from Georgia Power and get some numbers. I had about four years ago but that was then.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:09 PM
Kibble King

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Ok, to clarify, you can have only one electric service to your property?

And right now you have a single phase 200 amp service?

But, the question is, are you positive that you can get 3 phase service at your property? And how much will that cost up front, and what is the monthly service charge before any power usage?

The 200 amp service I have now was on the property when I got it. It's a meter and a 200 amp panel mounted on a pole. Around the time this virus stuff started up o ran a line out of the panel down to my shop feeding a 7 space panel and using it as temporary power. The cable feeding it is simply laying on the ground. Very temporary.