Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Nomoreusmc Nomoreusmc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 50
Default Who makes the good welding blankets

Sick of wasting my money, who makes the good welding blankets? Last at least a year. When I worked at XTO the had some that had a rubbery coating that where awesome. Thanks in advance

Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
__________________
Hobart Titian 8000
210mp
Square wave 200
Everlast 160stl
Powerkraft 300

2 Loose Screws Fabrication
Owner
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-11-2018, 02:06 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 13,362
Default

What kind you been buying?
__________________
Chris

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Nomoreusmc Nomoreusmc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
What kind you been buying?
I have tried China freight, armaco, last set was Tillman but didn't last like expected

Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
__________________
Hobart Titian 8000
210mp
Square wave 200
Everlast 160stl
Powerkraft 300

2 Loose Screws Fabrication
Owner
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2018, 03:52 PM
Ritothebull Ritothebull is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hernando, Fl.
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoreusmc View Post
Sick of wasting my money, who makes the good welding blankets? Last at least a year. When I worked at XTO the had some that had a rubbery coating that where awesome. Thanks in advance

Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
It was probably neoprene or silicone impregnated fiberglass fire cloth, I used to buy it from these guys buy the roll when I was doing a lot of marine work. If they won't sell to you directly ask them for a distributor, it's not cheap but its the real deal, I have some pieces that have been around here for over 20 years.

https://www.mcallistermills.com/

Or these guys - https://www.auburnmfg.com/product-category/welding/
__________________
.................................................. ..........
RTB
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2018, 10:25 PM
Walker's Avatar
Walker Walker is offline
Standard of Excellence
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cave Creek AZ
Posts: 4,167
Default

Ive been using the 6x6 tillman blankets for a while. When new they are great. If you could avoid ever folding them they would last a lot longer. I had to buy 10 for a job a few years ago, I am down to about half as I pitch them when they wear out at the fold lines. I fold them into quarters one way and then quarters the other way for storage in a crate. If they put more of that rubbery stuff on them they would last a lot longer.

Im pretty sure my dad had an asbestos blanket back in the day. Never itchy, but it might kill you 30 years later.
__________________
Walker
Chief slag chipper and floor sweeper, Ironwood Artistic
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-2018, 10:49 PM
Nomoreusmc Nomoreusmc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritothebull View Post
It was probably neoprene or silicone impregnated fiberglass fire cloth, I used to buy it from these guys buy the roll when I was doing a lot of marine work. If they won't sell to you directly ask them for a distributor, it's not cheap but its the real deal, I have some pieces that have been around here for over 20 years.

https://www.mcallistermills.com/

Or these guys - https://www.auburnmfg.com/product-category/welding/
I got on the website and request a quote... I'm always scared when they don't advertise a price


Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
__________________
Hobart Titian 8000
210mp
Square wave 200
Everlast 160stl
Powerkraft 300

2 Loose Screws Fabrication
Owner
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-2018, 10:55 PM
Nomoreusmc Nomoreusmc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Ive been using the 6x6 tillman blankets for a while. When new they are great. If you could avoid ever folding them they would last a lot longer. I had to buy 10 for a job a few years ago, I am down to about half as I pitch them when they wear out at the fold lines. I fold them into quarters one way and then quarters the other way for storage in a crate. If they put more of that rubbery stuff on them they would last a lot longer.

Im pretty sure my dad had an asbestos blanket back in the day. Never itchy, but it might kill you 30 years later.
When new being the key word! I just expected more from a Tillman brand product. Part of me just expected them to last like my welding jackets.

Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
__________________
Hobart Titian 8000
210mp
Square wave 200
Everlast 160stl
Powerkraft 300

2 Loose Screws Fabrication
Owner
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-2018, 07:50 AM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 10,608
Default

I keep scraps of roofing tin around.

$1 steel Home Depot clips work great to hold in place.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-14-2018, 09:45 AM
mccutter's Avatar
mccutter mccutter is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 7,787
Default

I've always thought about welding blankets as being more sacrificial. Burn the blanket instead of what is being welded. For longer, and/or more concentrated welding the metal comes out...
__________________

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 AM
4gsr 4gsr is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Victoria, TX
Posts: 45
Default

We used to use Asbestos blankets back in the days.....
__________________
Ken
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.