Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-13-2019, 11:57 PM
I can dig it

Default Tool boxes

Looking at options for portable toolboxes to take to job sites. I’ve been looking at stackable solutions, like the Milwaukee ‘Packout’ series.

I’m thinking a larger one for welding helmet, face shield and gloves etc. A second one for mics, verniers and other measuring tools. And a third one for the hand tools and other miscellaneous stuff.

Any of you have any hands on with any of these? I want to be able to toss it in the back seat of the truck, then take it into the shops as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 12-14-2019, 05:50 AM
Elite Member

I dont have any hands on experience with either. I have looked at the Milwaukee packout and DeWalt toughsystem.

The thing I like about dewalt is the have a drawer unit that a guy could put kaizen foam into for protecting more sensitive instruments.

You have to do a little research on them though, as I understand it DeWalt has two systems that dont fit together, and it's not immediately obvious.

I had something similar to the attached picture before a sturdier yet affordable solution was available. TSA destroyed it in short order.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191214-044444_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	153507

Sent from my mobile device using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 12-14-2019, 02:15 PM
Elite Member

Rustyjr has the dewalt pack totes.
He loves them. You can clip them all together or take them separately, and the dolley is seperate as well which makes the whole thing very adaptable to suit any purpose or job.
The latches are also better on the Dewalt...

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 02-05-2020, 12:35 AM
I can dig it

Thought I’d toss a little update.

Just before Christmas I picked up a Milwaukee Packout three piece set. The large bottom section has my faceshield, a welding helmet, and some other safety gear and paperwork.

I put the liftout tote tray from the bottom into the middle, midsize box. I’ve put all my handtools, hammers, hex keys, wrenches and spring calipers into this box.

The top box has smaller trays and such on each side, and I’ve put mics, indicators and such in it.

I also picked up an organizer box last week, hoping to use it for the cutting tools and such that we use.

So far I’m liking it, the size is great to hold everything I need to take site to site. The size is also a downfall, in that it is too large to easily fit into a truck cab. At the current weight/setup, I can lift it complete in or out by myself, but it is a bit awkward.

I sometimes wonder if it would have been nice to have the wheels/handle as a separate dolly/cart, and the box separate, currently not an option with this setup though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3422.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	154610Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3423.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	154611Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3426.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	154612

Name:	IMG_3427.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	154613

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3743.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	154614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3743.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	154615  
Old 02-05-2020, 12:50 AM
Something's Fishy ...

When I had a service truck I found that smaller storage was better.
With a larger box you expose more tools than you need. which makes it harder to see what if anything has gone walkabout.
two lighter cases that will hold as much as the single larger case will be easier to move and store.They will also last longer than a single larger case.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Auction Addict

Looks to be very handy for mobile work. Should serve you well into the future.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:48 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Looks to be very handy for mobile work. Should serve you well into the future.

They are definitely meant more for carpentry/other ‘lighter’ work. I do find them bulky, they really wont fit into the back seat of the quad cab trucks. Well, the lowest box with the wheels and handle won’t, the others can be stacked in.

The construction is good, they seem sturdy so far.

Part of the reason I went with them is that I figure if/when things change at some point down the road, they can be repurposed to other uses. I’m also hoping that Milwaukee keeps adding/developing the entire package, and suspect they will. They are starting to make tool sets/cases that are compatible, and also a radio/charger that fits in too.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:15 AM

I started out using hard sided solutions then I went to the bags. The bags are somewhat easier to move around and store but they do wear out rather quickly with daily use. One guy I saw uses a large military duffel bag, seems to work well for him but you do have to unload the entire bag to get to anything.

I do still use my Stanley mobile tool chest and it has worked well. It's amazing how much it actually holds and how well it holds up. Sometimes if I have to transport a lot of stuff a long ways I won't bring my service van, I'll put everything in those black totes with the yellow lids and put them in the back of my pickup. Did that when I wired the fishing cabin down in Mexico.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stanley.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	154661  
Old 02-08-2020, 09:20 AM
I can dig it

I have a few tool bags too, one for masonry tools, and a couple I use for general household construction stuff (that I need to clean out and re-organize!) I like them for that sort of work, for this I needed something that was lockable. I did some serious looking at Dewalt (as noted, they have two different, non interchangeable systems), and Stanley. It seemed they didn’t have the availability here in Canuckland that I would have liked to see.