Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-25-2022, 01:02 PM
Elite Member

Default Cylinder bore welders - smallest diameter?

From my reading, I know these exist; I also know that our "brain trust" here includes more than a few with first-hand experience.

I'm trying to help a member on another forum, he has a VERY specific cylinder off a Gannon box that is severely pitted inside (cylinder bore dim's are about 3" diameter, 8" stroke)

He can find a NEW cylinder but the price is more than he can justify (What ISN'T these days?)

My question is whether or not these automated internal bore welders can go that small diameter AND that deep, and (if it's doable) what the expected cost might be - thanks for any help on this... Steve
Old 08-25-2022, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Default Cylinder bore welders - smallest diameter?

A bore welder might go that small, but the lathe work afterwards and honing to get it smooth enough for a cylinder bore would not be cost prohibitive, unless you was doing it yourself and didn’t mind spending 12 hours.

A better option would be having a new barrel made. Cut / machine the base end off, and having a new honed tube barrel put on.

Is there any hydraulic repair shops around you?

I do this daily in my hydraulic shop repair business.

For that small of a bore, the material cost would not justify welding up the bore. Not to mention all the warpage the welding will cause.

Question about piston seals. Are they typical rubber/ urethane polys? Or old style Vee Pack seals. The old Vee pack type can handle bad bores a lot better than todays newer type seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 08-25-2022, 02:15 PM
I can dig it

Yes.

I have bore welded from 1.375 finished dia, x 2” long, up to 27” diameter and about 6’ long so far. Though it all depends on what equipment one has available.

Where is this thing located?

What is the final finish required after welding and machining?

Is it a closed bore, or open all the way thru?

What is the material?

Any pictures?

Old 08-25-2022, 02:19 PM
I can dig it

As I posted, TR was posting.

With more thought I realized what the use is, and for a hydraulic cylinder bore, you’re best options are as he says. Rebuild whatcha got, or replace. If the $$ isn’t there, park it and do without, or save the $$ til it is.

I hate to say it, but it’s going to keep getting more and more costly to play these days.

Old 08-25-2022, 03:08 PM
SFT Historian

Other option, what operating pressure ?
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...-9-1670-08.axd
Old 08-25-2022, 05:11 PM
Elite Member

guys, I really appreciate all the constructive responses - I just noticed that my post sounded suspiciously like I was the one ashamed to admit this was MY equipment for some reason but it's NOT - really WAS a new member of the tractor forum I frequent - he has EXACTLY one post, didn't fill in a location, etc -

It's just coincidence that he apparently has the same Gannon box as I have, AND that my ripper cylinder (along with a seal kit) has been sitting on the bench for almost a year now, waiting for life to go suck rocks

I do appear to be luckier than he is, the bore on mine seems fine so I bought the seal kit (so God figured I must have time for a few dozen OTHER things to do

And yes, there is at least one hyd repair shop about 15 miles from me, used 'em a couple times til I realized most seal kits for my 580 could be had for around $10, and I woulda been ecstatic to make over $100 an hour before I retired... (Good thing I bought ALL the kits I needed a few years ago, they're probably $200 EACH these days, and not available. Got 5 cylinders left to do on the 580, and the ripper cylinder on the Gannon. Eventually...

Thanks again guys, really helps having helpful "BTDT" guys around... Steve
Old 08-25-2022, 07:22 PM
Grumpy Bastard

I would retube the cylinder if it was anything special. That is likely your cheapest alternative. Welding and remachining will be a lot more expensive
than just buying a new cylinder.

http://teamtubellc.com/en/products/honed-tubing

http://westernstatesmetals.com/produ...linder-tubing/

https://jpsteel.us/products-dom-hone...ic-tubing.html

http://www.scotindustries.com/contact-form.php

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley