Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-18-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Need quotes for machining...

I have a stainless, 3 bolt exhaust flange that I need machined. I will only need 10 of these for now.

Anybody know places I should submit to for a quote?
Old 03-18-2005, 11:58 PM

I've found it pretty helpfull to use local machine shops if possible. First , you develop a working relationship with them and they are more apt to go out of their way on a rush job or something unusual or late in the day/week. Second, it's easier to do business in person a lot of the time. Third, they can become a good source of welding work, or welding work leads. fourth, your stuff doesn't get lost in shipping, and shipping cost is $0. Probably some more advantages I can't think of right now.

JTMcC.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:54 AM

Does it need to be machined?

For such work, I'd check into water jetting or NC plasma cutting....or maybe even laser cutting.

The shop rate will be around the same as machine shop time, but the process is much faster, and they could all be cut from one chunk of stock using one setup, whereas a machine shop would need to do one at a time, and stainless is not the easiest to machine...mill plate will have a lot of internal strain, and squirms all over when you start cutting on it.

...course if you need everything to +/- .001" then you need to pay that. If you can live with a tenth the precision, then look into the cutting options.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:08 PM

Shops in my area are very high on the average. We have a few large government labs in the area that sub out a lot of work, so if you want something done in this area, you have to pay what they do.

this part doesn't necessarily have to be machined. It's basically just a 3 bolt exhaust flange. I would need it in 3/8" or 1/2"...preferably in stainless.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:14 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Sounds like a good excuse too buy a plasma too me

Rick
Old 03-21-2005, 02:20 PM

I would, but I don't do much work that it would be sufficient unless it was a cnc plasma. I'm picky about things I make for sale, and don't want jagged edges, and don't want to have to grind all edges smooth. I'd rather buy a nice part and just have to weld it on the pipe.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:08 PM

You're not going to get a real good price because of the low quantity. One thing about a small to medium size local shop is you can go in and talk to them and explain that in the future you expect (hope) to need larger runs, and like I said, small shops sometimes need to farm out some welding. That way you aren't just sourcing a part, you are building a business relationship and possibly forming a mutually benefitial "unofficial partnership".
But, you might be able to get a decent price from a distance. The only way to find out is to make a drawing and start faxing it out to shops.
It doesn't have to be a machined (in the traditional sense) part, but machine shops are the most likely places to find CNC plasma/water cutters. You might find a welding shop with those capabilities, but they might will see you as a competetor while the machine shop most likely won't.
Have you done a search online for small shops?
A small "garage" shop might be your best bet, they are common in some areas.
If'n it was me, use the shotgun approach, I'd be searching out prospects, from the obvious local machine shop to some more obscure not so obvious people with that particular capability and sending out lots of request for quotes with a good drawing and detailed description with tolerances spelled out clearly.
Even paying more I'd try to find a small local source as my first choice. I read somewhere, and it might of been here, appologies to the original poster, "all things being equal, people do business with people they like. all things being unequall, people do business with people they like" I might of butchered the quote, but it holds pretty true in my experience.

JTMcC.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:18 PM

I'm searching high and low for this. I have an autocad drawing that I have emailed a few places, and can fax it also.

At this point, I'm wide open as to where I send my business. I just havn't had continued success with any one place, so I'm open to all options. If I'd had one shop always treat me well and make good products, I'd likely stick with them, but that's not been the case. I'm looking for that one shop that will do good work at a reasonable cost...always.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Here's a guy I know.

Try this guy he's a good ol' Kentucky boy in North GA. I shoot with him and he has a hell of a machine shop. Does some real nice work.

http://www.d-m-w.com/
Old 03-21-2005, 06:52 PM

Never used these guys, but it may be what you're looking for.

http://www.emachineshop.com/