Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-30-2004, 11:02 AM

Default Cutter

Hi Cutter,

I don't mean to ressurect anything, but I was curious if you ever had any luck with the big Wilton. I have one just like it, and found your restoration attemps ammusing.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:08 AM

I don't think he's put any effort into it lately Arbo, I think he's still tied up setting up his new shop and with some vehicle woes and the weather has greatly hindered setting up the new shop/yard issues ...

See his shop thread here:
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...read.php?t=657
Old 11-30-2004, 11:22 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
Hi Cutter,

I don't mean to ressurect anything, but I was curious if you ever had any luck with the big Wilton. I have one just like it, and found your restoration attemps ammusing.
Hi Arbo,

LOL, that always makes me chuckle. The old vise played a big role in getting us all here, you know - or maybe you don't since a lot of the last few days got erased over on WWeb. I was having a lot of fun with that thread and have received quite a few emails asking what happened.

But I have never gotten back to the old Wilton because of our migration to this site, because I didn't want to just start over here from the beginning & have the WWeb admin steal any new photos or material, and because of my shop building project. So at some point late last summer, the French Canadian asked for an update & we finally agreed that I got a pass to defer that until I get my old shop vacated & this one set up. Since then, various delays have prevented me from making much progress on anything.

The old vise is sitting around waiting & probably getting rustier all over again. I frankly wonder if it will ever break loose but someday, maybe next spring I will get back to it.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 11-30-2004, 12:18 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Default now that you mention it . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus
I don't think he's put any effort into it lately Arbo, I think he's still tied up setting up his new shop and with some vehicle woes and the weather has greatly hindered setting up the new shop/yard issues ...

See his shop thread here:
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...read.php?t=657
Thanks, Jack. Looks like the Jeep finally has come together.

For those of you who didn't know, my "high mileage but cherry-condition" '94 Grand Cherokee that I bought last August (I think?) blew out the rear main seal along about the end of September. A neighbor Jeep-enthusiast offered to install a new seal - "when he got time" - about 6-8 weeks later. Thus began a long somewhat nightmarish episode that I have refrained from posting until now.

Long story short: new seal & pan gasket & reassembly resulted in a loud oil pump noise so we dropped the steering, exhaust & pan (again), installed a new high volume oil pump & put her back together. The seal & pump seemed fine but the sending unit squirted oil from much higher up the back of the engine; it took some time for me to locate & confirm that it was indeed the sending unit on account of it being invisible & pert-near inaccessible. But we got it replaced & finally stopped that leak. Then I watched the oil pressure peg the gauge at idle - 80 lbs plus & that worried me. After a night of scratching my head over that, I realized that the gauge pegged as soon as I turned on the ignition - before cranking it.
So I bought a second replacement sender & that cured that problem. But, when I drove her the first time there was an intermittent sort of growling or grinding noise that worried hell out of me. It sounded similar to a worn out power steering pump or to that sound they make when they're low on fluid? Except it was coming from the oil pan area but the oil pressure was not affected, the engine continued to run just fine and like I said, it was intermittent. There were times when I thought it might be a bent dipstick tube contacting the crankshaft & even lifted it a half inch to check - no difference. I finally drive her down to Jay's Fast Oil Change last Friday & got rid of the "working" oil & the new Fram filter that Kenneth (the neighbor/mechanic) had installed on her. Seems to me that's when the noise was last heard. So this might just have been another nail in the Fram filter legend of sorry-assed performance. I'm running a Purolater right now, drove all over town yesterday with nary a peep nor a growl. I do not have a clue how this could happen, but maybe there was a pocket of air trapped somewhere in the pump/filter circuit? That's sure what it sounded like. Who knows, maybe there was something circulating in the oil?

Anyway, that had the shop tied up for over a month on account of Kenneth just disappearing on me, then he had a stomach virus for 5 or 6 days, yada yada. It was an aggravating 4 or 5 weeks.

And now that that is out of the way (I hope), I have firewood issues; all these other projects have caused me to be too much cricket, too little ant so I have to spend a week or two hauling and splitting some firewood; I have been forced to run my furnace to survive the cold fronts we've been blessed with this fall. As X-ray said, "Global warming, my ass!" On the plus side, I have finally gotten my little logsplitter dug out & serviced, new drive pully & belt installed so I'll start a little thread about it this weekend if I get suitable weather for it.

Just Keep Walking

Old 11-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Urban Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter
the new Fram filter... Seems to me that's when the noise was last heard. So this might just have been another nail in the Fram filter legend of sorry-assed performance. I'm running a Purolater right now...
just speculation, but I am wondering if maybe the high volume pump was forcing the bypass to open in the cheap assed filter? put in a better quality one, and no more chatter from it?

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 11-30-2004, 07:52 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

That is the best I can come up with Chad, or some version of it. I drove the car on service calls again this afternoon. No problems.
Don't you just hate it when :
a. you can't identify a problem so you don't know how serious it is?, and
b. you're not sure whether you fixed it or how you fixed it so you can't be sure
it won't return?

But I have 75 lbs of oil pressure cold, 65 lbs (at 190 degrees driving) & 45 lbs at idle.

Just Keep Walking

Old 11-30-2004, 09:20 PM

cutter,

You could go to one of the Jeep forums and they would tell you " IT'S A JEEP THING"

Allen T.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:01 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by atucker
cutter,

You could go to one of the Jeep forums and they would tell you " IT'S A JEEP THING"

Allen T.
B.T. D.T., those people are CRAZY!

Just Keep Walking

Old 11-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

jeepers ! g.d. jeepers !

all we need is more jeep heads in the world !

okay rant over !!

and p.s. cutter get that vise OPEN !

DAWG
Old 11-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Mikey

Hey Dawg, you got one of those big ass vises? I'd like one of those, and a big hairy anvil..........