Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-23-2022, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
You will need a fine sleeve to keep the pulp from oozing out the drain holes. Takes a lot of pressure too. Much higher pressure than an apple press. Making your pow press.
thanks, that video led to this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJnovsAhf-Y a straight forward build I think.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:14 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive View Post
thanks, that video led to this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJnovsAhf-Y a straight forward build I think.
Corn is dry and olives are wet so might just gum up the grinder. I think the screw press would work much better.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 02-23-2022, 03:57 PM
Roving Reporter

Ancient olive oil operations crushed the olives in presses with huge stone wheels to create a pulp. The pulp was placed between layers of coarse cloth and then squeezed in a large screw press. I may be able to find pictures from my time in Turkey.

Wonder where the rest of my post went? Modern olive oil plants use centrifuges to separate oil from crushed pulp.

Last edited by camdigger; 02-23-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:15 PM

There was a farm southwest of San Antonio that was raising olives. They used a centrifuge to remove the oil from the pulp. The wife and I did a tour of the place a few years back.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Corn is dry and olives are wet so might just gum up the grinder. I think the screw press would work much better.
it seems to handle the olives OK, being a flail mill the clearances are fairly coarse. I have rebuilt and repaired a couple of flail mills over the years so the idea appeals to me, but I am not in a hurry so I’ll see if there are any insinkerstors at the local recyclers.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
There was a farm southwest of San Antonio that was raising olives. They used a centrifuge to remove the oil from the pulp. The wife and I did a tour of the place a few years back.
Sandy Oaks Olive Orchard in Elmendorf. Closed since the owner's death a couple years ago.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:31 PM

I made cured olives in a drum with lye and salt, but I never tried to make olive oil.

I guess I am assuming that the oil that comes from the fruit is different than the oil that comes from the seed. But I only know about wine presses. If you did that to grapes your wine would taste like acid.

But it looks to me like those olive oil presses are using crushed seeds too.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:44 PM
Elite Member

Here's a photo of the adapter and press that I added to my engine stand, so I could press chokecherry mash. Might give some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydraulic Fruit Press.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	163800  
Old 03-07-2022, 01:23 AM

The wine presses that I drew had pretty hefty hydraulics, and If you went too Rambo on the wiggle stick, you could press the grapeseeds into particleboard-like hardness.

This was totally undesired because it made the whole press seize up. They broke the coupling which attaches the gear reduction box to the auger. They broke the screen drum loose from its mountings, And it spun with the auger, before the idiot let go of the hydraulic lever.

We had to extract the encrusted auger with a winch for decontamination. That was just the beginning of the repairs.

Instead of relying on the pressman to control the machine, we added pressure relief valves that took the procedure more out of his hands.