Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Urban Gunfighter

Default diy powder coating

not sure if this is the proper forum, but...

My brother picked up a harbor freight powder coat set this weekend for $60 on sale (he is trying to better me at the HF anonymous meetings). anyone have any experience in doing this stuff at home? we tried it out on some small test pieces, and the results were quite surprising. just looking for some input from the masses on this one. already trying to figure out the best method for a bigger oven .

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 11-29-2004, 11:34 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

I dunno nuthin about no powder coating, Chad but I sure have wondered about those little rigs. Please keep us posted.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 11-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Urban Gunfighter

It appears to be a knock off of the entry level one that you get from Eastwood. in fact, the entry level eastwood kit looks like a better deal considering what they include for $90, provided the shipping isn't too steep.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42802

http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/pro...iProductID=412

The pieces we tried were a couple of shot blasted pieces of 1/4" diamond tread scrap, and a piece of aluminum sheet that I sanded quickly with a DA to give it some bite. We wiped them down with brake kleen, and did one piece at a time. note to self: don't use a rag that will leave lint on the surface, or a paper towel on a rough blasted surface.. you see the fibers that got left on the surface in the paint. the last piece was done only by spraying it down with brake kleen, and then air dried and coated. turned out VERY well for the third attempt. We're going to do all the little part/pieces of my new jeep that will fit in his oven... The local HF store carries the powder in black, red, white, and yellow. Eastwood carries a lot of colors, and some specialty coatings too.

Old 11-29-2004, 12:00 PM

Did it stink up the house from cooking it in the oven ?
Old 11-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Urban Gunfighter

My brother has a good size shop not attached to the garage where we did the tests. When he bought the house, he replaced the oven we were using with one he had just purchased at his last residence. there was no real smell that I could tell doing the small test parts that we did. every website that I have seen on this process states to never again use the oven for food prep.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071
every website that I have seen on this process states to never again use the oven for food prep.
I've read those same warnings too. I wondered if it was because of some smell or chemical stuff left behind. So, it's obviously not the smell ...
Old 11-29-2004, 04:14 PM

The only real secret with powder coating is surface preparation.

You seem to be doing everything right, shot blast or power sand, solvent clean, then just try not to touch the prepared metal with with bare hands.

I have seen a few fingermarks cause poor adhesion with some types of coatings.

One thing to watch out for is bits of weld slag left in corners, they can really mess up an otherwise neat coating job. Ask me how I know

Oh, and the reason you should not cook in a coating oven is that some types of plastic, especially PVC, can give off chemicals known to cause cancer if overheated. Just thought you might like to know.

one_rod.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:33 PM

I never thought I'd read "Eastwood" and "a better deal" in the same sentence. I actually don't see the better deal. Unless you are talking about the 89 cent water filter. That'll be eaten by the $15 shipping charge.

I think your brother will be better served by the HF unit. Once you have a few colors, you'll realize it ain't no fun to clean those cups and a better value to buy in bulk. Check out some of the powdercoating supllier sites. They sell the same gun as HF and you can get spare cups.

Enjoy and post some pics of your projects. In the meantime, here's a little light reading for you in your quest for the ultimate powdercoating oven.

http://www.coatings.de/pcmanual.cfm
Old 11-29-2004, 11:33 PM

I never thought I'd read "Eastwood" and "a better deal" in the same sentence. I actually don't see the better deal. Unless you are talking about the 89 cent water filter. That'll be eaten by the $15 shipping charge.

I think your brother will be better served by the HF unit. Once you have a few colors, you'll realize it ain't no fun to clean those cups and a better value to buy in bulk. Check out some of the powdercoating supllier sites. They sell the same gun as HF and you can get spare cups.

Enjoy and post some pics of your projects. In the meantime, here's a little light reading for you in your quest for the ultimate powdercoating setup.

http://www.coatings.de/pcmanual.cfm