Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 09-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Do I have a life?

Default Another spool/push/pull gun source.

MK Products might have what you're looking for if money is no object... They are a little pricey once you get the gun and module but their products are excellent. They have the Cobramatic push-pull system as well as the Prince and Python series of air and water-cooled spool and push/pull guns if you want to go that route. Here is the link: MK Products

Keep in mind that the more amps you "think" you'll need will increase the size and cost of the equipment you'll need to handle it. Air-cooled spool and push/pull guns top out at 250A or so and water-cooled top out at 400A or so. Big question is how often do you think you'll be welding 1/2" and can you get away with multiple passes on the occasions that you do weld it?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 09-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleasterling View Post
So I did some searching and came up with this:

mm252 w/ xr alumapro push/pull gun(not completely sure about that gun yet)

Sound good?

oh, cutter...those last two links don't work for me

Hrm...Appears I just completely confused myself. There is the xr alumapro, then there's the xr edge, but also the xr-a python(none of which have any info listed on the mm website) The xr-a python looks just like the xr alumapro, but the cost is different. The xr edge is significantly cheaper than the python. I have no clue now. Arg. Can anyone clear this up?
Thanks again,
Cole
If you are gonna spend $$$ on a 252 w/ a push/pull. I would spend the extra and go with the 350P and a push pull.

Yes, the 350P is more than worth the extra money and the higher deposition rates you can get with the pulse feature, my 350P paid for itself in less than 6 months with the productivity gains I got from it.

I don't do much Al so I run a 30A spoolgun. And yes it pulses very well with the SG. But if I were to start running alot of AL a push pull would get ordered.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
The Right Stuff

Send a message via AIM to tigman250 Send a message via MSN to tigman250

if you ever get under 1/8" material the pulse feature would be a huge asset!

if you don't like the bulk of a spool gun (it is suprising the small areas you can reach but they do have their limitations) and can swing it go for the push pull setup, you won't be dissapointed! the push pull and the pulse feature on your powersource there won't be too many jobs you can't weld.

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
MK Products might have what you're looking for if money is no object... They are a little pricey once you get the gun and module but their products are excellent. They have the Cobramatic push-pull system as well as the Prince and Python series of air and water-cooled spool and push/pull guns if you want to go that route. Here is the link: MK Products

Keep in mind that the more amps you "think" you'll need will increase the size and cost of the equipment you'll need to handle it. Air-cooled spool and push/pull guns top out at 250A or so and water-cooled top out at 400A or so. Big question is how often do you think you'll be welding 1/2" and can you get away with multiple passes on the occasions that you do weld it?
So I took a look at the MK Products stuff. I think I can get along just fine with some lowly Miller equipment

1/2" will be extremely rare and multipass will be fine.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:30 PM

A great and not too pricey power source would have to be a Lincoln 350 pro with the advanced process kit, a wire feeder like an LN-7 or LF-42, and a Miller 30A + WC-24 controller (easily modded to Lincoln)

One stop shop, got your stick, got your mig and dc tig, got your pulse....

Mk products is simply expensive trash, hard to get parts for, let alone having to get repaired.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Member Emeritus June 1965 - August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
If you are gonna spend $$$ on a 252 w/ a push/pull. I would spend the extra and go with the 350P and a push pull.

Yes, the 350P is more than worth the extra money and the higher deposition rates you can get with the pulse feature, my 350P paid for itself in less than 6 months with the productivity gains I got from it.

I don't do much Al so I run a 30A spoolgun. And yes it pulses very well with the SG. But if I were to start running alot of AL a push pull would get ordered.
What he said. I bought my MM350P with a few aluminum jobs in mind and went with a Python push-pull system. I completed those jobs and have done little aluminum with the machine since. If I had to do it all over again I would still go with the push-pull even though it is a bit more money. I just don't like the feel of spoolguns in general and you would be amazed at how fast those little spools go. The per pound cost of wire is also significanlty reduced if you can buy bigger rolls.

KB
Old 09-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventureline View Post
A great and not too pricey power source would have to be a Lincoln 350 pro with the advanced process kit, a wire feeder like an LN-7 or LF-42, and a Miller 30A + WC-24 controller (easily modded to Lincoln)

One stop shop, got your stick, got your mig and dc tig, got your pulse....

Mk products is simply expensive trash, hard to get parts for, let alone having to get repaired.
I ran a Lincoln side by side against my 350P, I told the lincoln rep. if it out produced my MM 350P I would buy it. The Lincoln did better than I thought it would, being transformer based, but still on its best day, down hill, and with a tail wind the Lincoln could only muster 90% of what the Miller put out. Also the Lincolns are much more tedious to set up.

JMHO...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM
dsculpin

Default Today is your lucky day!!!

Matt,

This sales forum is for contributing members of the site to sell their items. If you wish to advertise I have standard rates and can email them to you.

Sincerely,
Shade

Last edited by Shade Tree Welder; 09-06-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:22 AM

How hard do you think it would be to hook up to a ranger 250?

Last edited by Shade Tree Welder; 09-06-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:35 PM

If money is no object, try these water cooled migs. They are what we use.

http://www.daihen-usa.com/products/wps/