Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 08-05-2019, 09:11 AM
The Real Deal

Very nice table, I tack and grind like Iron head, If I was doing production work I could see the holes
Old 08-05-2019, 09:13 AM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I have a couple of the Wilton welding clamps, where you weld the shoe to the plate, use the clamp, then cut the shoe off and buff up the plate, when your done with it.
I use tack on half clamps for on the table work, my table is only 2'X 4' big stuff goes on horses.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I am grateful for the length of my table. I suppose if I didn't have it, I would find a way to work around the issue. Last welding job was making 16 ft angle iron out of 10ft pieces and 6ft pieces.
It made lineup and support easy.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Nice job on the new bench top.

I guess I also fall in the crude old timer category. Like Gerry, mine is also 4 x 8 x 1". Probably unlike Gerry, mine has shallow rust pits and a big chamfer under one side from when it was new and being used as temporary approaches when the bridge over the Yukon River was re-decked. The zero cash outlay pricing made it an easy decision.

I have 2 holes near the edge of each side where I can bolt down a pipe vice when needed and a third one on one side where the drill bit can go through when I use my big old mag drill which is slower and more powerful than any of my drill presses. I use half clamps that, depending on what I'm clamping sometimes get as much as an inch of weld to the table (on the screw side only) so when I'm done I can just smack the back with a hammer to break them off, then grind the weld off my table.

Having all those holes would just make me spend a lot of time digging around in the short pipes and handy drops that reside in the big old wheeled shelf/pan that lives on the floor underneath for all the hardware and small parts that fell through, haha. My welding bench is also my mechanical bench, electrical bench, plumbing bench, hydraulics bench, etc. so lots of little springs, special screws and small (hard to find in the pan) parts get spread out there. Disassembling a carburetor or transmission valve body always happens in a cafeteria tray, but lots of other stuff doesn't.

Oops, I forgot about the 2 holes I drilled last spring at the end farthest from my big vice which lives on a sliding, swinging platform that allows it to be turned upside down and be below table top level for long work. Those two holes mount an engine stand for the Ford Model B engine to modern transmission project that is upcoming. At this point that's all the holes I need.

I'm not saying all those holes wouldn't be handy for some jobs and in some shops, but they would be a huge PITA for me, haha.

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-05-2019, 03:42 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabberMcGee View Post

Having all those holes would just make me spend a lot of time digging around in the short pipes and handy drops that reside in the big old wheeled shelf/pan that lives on the floor underneath for all the hardware and small parts that fell through, haha.

I'm not saying all those holes wouldn't be handy for some jobs and in some shops, but they would be a huge PITA for me, haha.
The idea would be plug the unused holes with setscrews or slotted all-thread .......
Old 08-05-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I'm going to ask it. Why the holes?

I have a 4x8x1" table which has holes for a vice, and that's it for the last 25 years. I guess it would let the berries and slag chips fall through, but I sweep them off.
Then I thought hold down things? nah, I tack weld to the table and grind the bump off after.
I do lots of different size jobs. Sometimes I cant tack to the table because the metal is too this and ornamental. Other times it is at different elevations and needs to be held in multiple spots. I found a old wood working clamp style that is stupid cheap and holds anything. I use 1/2" hot roll round stock and flatten out a duck bill on the end and curve it. It fits down inside the 5/8" holes and with a light tap from a hammer it hold little stock and a hard whack will hold big things tight! Saves me time to not grind the weld part and the table each time.
Here is a picture of the clamp style I am using.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190804_065232 (Medium).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	151726   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190804_071625 (Medium).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	151727   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190804_071629 (Medium).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	151728   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190804_071632 (Medium).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	151729  
Old 08-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Thanks for the answer and info. For what you are doing, it is very useful.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 08-05-2019, 11:22 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Drilling holes in a welding table is a good idea; tapping those holes; not so much. You can't keep slag out of them. If you use setscrews to protect the holes it's a pain to remove them when you need a particular hole and, to top it all off you've got to keep track of the setscrews.

A better way is to simply use clamps that wedge into the holes. The dog clamp mentioned above is one example. They were originally developed as light duty clamps for use on platen tables. Bessey and some of their clones make clamps that wedge into the holes on a platen table. And (if you can find them, they're not made anymore) you can use a vise-grip style table clamp like the one shown in the first picture. They have a 1/2" stud and if you wedge them into a 1/2" hole they will hold just fine--no need for a nut on the bottom...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woodworking-bench-hold-down-clamps-vise-grip-clamps.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	151730   Click image for larger version

Name:	WS1ASP1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	151731   Click image for larger version

Name:	platen-clamp.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	151732  

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 08-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Elite Member

Keith, don't tell the chinese that
https://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch...amp-36221.html

Yeah, I know, not exactly the same; but for that light of stuff they might come in handy. Don't think I'd wanna use 'em very far from the table edge tho, gettin' too "un-bendable" to wanna reach very far ... Steve
Old 08-06-2019, 12:55 PM
no bull it's huge!

I believe we missed that you aren't tapping the holes. Now since I caught on, I like it. I've watched others go through tapping all those holes and thought that yeah it would be nice but also a pain in the ass. I like the holes but my table is used for a little of everything. I might be welding in the morning and before the day is over working on hydraulic valves or cylinders. The oil running out would just be a mess. So anyway I will just admire your work from a distance, looks good!