Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Default Seed plant plate valve

I haven't posted a project for a while, house is eating the clock for me. I ended up with a new customer that I did not want to brush off, so I have been doing dome work for a seed cleaning plant. They seem as grateful as a puppy, and it turns out their machinery is full of parts that are no longer made. So they have been flogged to the point where they don't run. Shafts half worn through from crap rubbing on them. But clean, everything is clean, no mud or cowshit.

Except they had a drunk Satan worshiper that thought he could weld, and I had to remove some of his welds with a cold chisel. The blobs are big enough that they hurt to step on with running shoes.

So this project is a chute at the bottom of the bin. 8 inch square hole where it bolts to the bin, and it makes an elbow and reduces to 5x5 square. In the 5x5 section they had a plate butterfly for shutting off the grain flow. This would sooner or later have straw or crap wound up in it and stop working and they had to take it apart and shovel up the grain spill to clean the butterfly.

My plan is for a sliding plate at the 8x8 opening. I chiseled and ground out the offending welds, and re-welded it in areas that affect my contribution to the critter.
In pic 1 you can see the square butterfly and the discharge chute.
In the second picture are the slide rails I attached to put a 1/4" steel slide plate on.
In the last picture is the slide plate in place with the rails made of 3/8" round stock and a grain deflector welded above them to divert the flow over the rail and keep the plate from flipping out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03886.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	151538   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03889.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	151539   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03888.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	151540   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03890.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	151541  

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 07-18-2019, 07:53 PM

Then I had to have some linkage to open and close it.
So off to the plasma table to cut some more. I drew up several ideas on paper and this one worked the best.
The linkage has to have an 8" stroke, as they want the throat wide open. And it has to close completely. When I had everything tacked the mechanism slid back and forth freely. Once I welded it up it has a little resistance in the last two inches of opening. Either the shebang warped a bit, or some weldberries are stuck within the slide mechanism somewhere.

I figure it will loosen up with usage.

It's the only excitement I had in the rain today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03892.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	151542   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03893.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	151543  

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 07-18-2019, 08:01 PM

I wish you and your customer well with the slide plate set up. Back in the 1980's while working for a grain and barge company, we had a few of the farmers arrive with slide plates in their grain trailers to off load their grain. Many of times they were not able to off load the grain due to the weight pressing down on the plate chute. Even with us assisting them it was still a no go. We sent them on their merry way. A slide gate plate is not the best solution to the problem.

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 07-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
I wish you and your customer well with the slide plate set up. Back in the 1980's while working for a grain and barge company, we had a few of the farmers arrive with slide plates in their grain trailers to off load their grain. Many of times they were not able to off load the grain due to the weight pressing down on the plate chute. Even with us assisting them it was still a no go. We sent them on their merry way. A slide gate plate is not the best solution to the problem.
Slide plates work great if you have a hydraulic cylinder to make them slide.

Pray like everything depends on God, and work like everything depends on you.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
Slide plates work great if you have a hydraulic cylinder to make them slide.
True Dat! Or a geared drive set up to roll them open instead of the slide hammer setup that most of them had way back then.

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 07-18-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
Well, they were very certain what they want, and were out to check progress.
That covers my ass, but I tend to agree with you. It will need horsepower.
I have to assume they know what they are doing, as they built this so far. And I don't know how many bushels the hopper holds.

So we will see what happens. I'll get the feedback and report.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Elite Member

I used to work for a company that built seed and feed mills. We used a rack gear welded to the bottom of the slide plate and a the pinion attached to a shaft with a handwheel. It worked pretty good. - In case you get some warranty work on this.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
I used to work for a company that built seed and feed mills. We used a rack gear welded to the bottom of the slide plate and a the pinion attached to a shaft with a handwheel. It worked pretty good. - In case you get some warranty work on this.
I expect that either the bin is small, and then it may still work, or they may have to re-consider their design.
They will put it in today.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Voice of Experience

I hope they appreciate having the right man on the job....

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 07-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Auction Addict

Nice to have a new customer, and if this all works as they designed, they will likely be a long term customer.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx