Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Picked up some reamers, end mills, Delrin

While out doing my weekly running I stopped by a guys place an bought a handful of odd and end stuff.

Picked up some American made reamers 3/8 to 9/16 all good an sharp
Also picked up some end mill cutters various ones an sizes all American made cutters see pics....

Also picked up a partial stick of some 2"x 2" x 5ft. Delrin so I can make some new bushings for my wife's wheel chair... Chose the Delrin over Nylon, Was told Delrin is a better choice to use.

Don't think I did to awful bad on price as the Delrin would of cost me far more I would imagine... spent a total of 45 bucks for all of it...

Could of spent less if I would of just bought the two endmill cutter's I originally went by for but its like going to HF can't go in with out coming out with other things you didn't go there for....
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0191.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	148750Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0193.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	148751

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
...Chose the Delrin over Nylon, Was told Delrin is a better choice to use...
Yeah, I prefer machining acetal to nylon. Pure natural nylon and UHMW are both machinable but the "chips" come off in long continuous strings that can create a heck of mess. With acetal you can generally break a chip which makes cleanup a whole lot easier.

Plastics in general are pretty complicated; there are a wide variety of basic "families" and within each of those there can be many different compositions. Delrin is actually Dupont's name for its family of acetal products but it's one of those terms that has become almost generic in nature.

Most manufacturers make a lubricant filled material, sometimes referred to as Nylon MD. Because one of the first manufacturers of this material was called "Nylatron" that term has crept into general usage as a term for all lube filled materials but Nylatron uses the name in conjunction with a wide variety of plastics it produces...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:45 PM
I can dig it

Not sure what the radius size is of that rad cutter, that cutter alone is worth your $45. Looking at the size, it will likely make your mill/drill cringe though except on very light cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 01-09-2019, 04:10 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Not sure what the radius size is of that rad cutter, that cutter alone is worth your $45. Looking at the size, it will likely make your mill/drill cringe though except on very light cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
I just picked it up for light cuts on aluminum it about 3/4"... ill have in the future maybe more use for it when I get my bigger mills here.... Or at least I think ill have possibly more use for it...

I didn't think I did to bad as I'm told the one plunge drill for hardened steel/tool steel is pretty high priced new... supposed to be able to cut taps and drill bits but not carbide
I guess the worst I can do to it is screw it up....

Old 01-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Yeah, I prefer machining acetal to nylon. Pure natural nylon and UHMW are both machinable but the "chips" come off in long continuous strings that can create a heck of mess. With acetal you can generally break a chip which makes cleanup a whole lot easier.

Plastics in general are pretty complicated; there are a wide variety of basic "families" and within each of those there can be many different compositions. Delrin is actually Dupont's name for its family of acetal products but it's one of those terms that has become almost generic in nature.

Most manufacturers make a lubricant filled material, sometimes referred to as Nylon MD. Because one of the first manufacturers of this material was called "Nylatron" that term has crept into general usage as a term for all lube filled materials but Nylatron uses the name in conjunction with a wide variety of plastics it produces...
will this be the better material to make the bushings for the wheel chair over just nylon

Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
will this be the better material to make the bushings for the wheel chair over just nylon
Yes it will. It has real good lubricity too. Lots of folks have used it to make half nuts for their lathes.

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Yes it will. It has real good lubricity too. Lots of folks have used it to make half nuts for their lathes.
Thanks' Chris

Old 01-10-2019, 08:24 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
It's the better choice unless she weighs over 4500 lb because under heavy pressure nylon distorts less, but I always think nylon needs lube.
Great score on the delrin and reamers. As far as I'm concerned You Suck.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
It's the better choice unless she weighs over 4500 lb because under heavy pressure nylon distorts less, but I always think nylon needs lube.
Great score on the delrin and reamers. As far as I'm concerned You Suck.
I have both white and grayish blackish Delrin one is better to use than the other if so which one would be best... the pieces needing replacing are the bushings that allow it to fold and keeps seat in alignment when it folds

although she thinks she weighs 4500 pounds in her mind and she really believes she is fat she truly only weighs buck forty five.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:58 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
...I have both white and grayish blackish Delrin one is better to use than the other if so which one would be best... the pieces needing replacing are the bushings that allow it to fold and keeps seat in alignment when it folds...
For that application any plastic will do. Delrin, UHMW, nylon; you name it; there isn't enough load that you'd be able to tell the difference...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?