Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-07-2022, 11:06 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
Don't know why, I had it in my head that you had an Arboga drill. Sweedish, like the meatballs
My drill is branded Nider model 64, but also sold as Arboga, and now I find Boise-Crane and lastly Wilton Strand also.
No untypical for industrial equipment.
And yes, throughout all this, the gearbox was manufactured in Sweden.

Any machine builder does not manufacture most it's parts. Example: John Deere. The excavator is made by Hitachi, and the difference is a JD machine has a JD engine, and Hitachi has a Mitsubishi I believe. John Deere loaders used a Allison transmission. Finding out who made what is very helpful to get good pricing and availability.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin. BLM has proven to mean Buy Large Mansions

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-07-2022, 11:55 AM
Director of Languages

I did not realise JD didnt make their own construction kit. I guess that explains why they don't sell it over here. if they were making it themselves they'd want to be selling it in more markets I suppose
Old 01-09-2022, 05:12 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
When I started, I had miscounted the holes so that tooth was butchered. As the idea is to come around and your finish cut should pass through air the 51st time, I just kept on for 5 more teeth and the cutter was not touching anything so I have it all right
There should be a larger tooth or two to match the tiny teeth. It appears on the far right of your photo one tooth is slightly oversize. Or maybe it's my perception of it. Glad you got it worked out.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:55 PM

Thanks for all the help from everyone.
I completed the gear today and fitted it into the box, with the new sealed bearings. As this machine has not been made past 1980, and had been in a machine shop til I bought it in 2010, I'm sure this has been done before. I noted file marks where someone had draw-filed off the burrs that develop on the keyway going into the quill.
All worked out well and I'll get it running in the next day or so. Tomorrow will be sucked up with a valve set on my truck, and plowing snow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04908.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	163238   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04909.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	163239   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04910.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	163240   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04911.jpg
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	163241   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04907.jpg
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	163242  

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin. BLM has proven to mean Buy Large Mansions

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-09-2022, 10:09 PM
Roving Reporter

Looks like you have twice the snow we have.

I am curious as to whether the Amal gear will make the head noticeably noisier.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:46 PM
Auction Addict

Gear looks quite nice.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Old 01-10-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
Looks like you have twice the snow we have.

I am curious as to whether the Amal gear will make the head noticeably noisier.

Yes we have had a foot added since I plowed the driveway on Dec 22. Now I'll plow today and with the warmer weather the snow will start to compact more.

In theory, it should be noisier with the Aluminum gear, how much would depend on how much lash there is. That is dependent on having the diameter and tooth depth correct.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:22 PM
I can dig it

Somehow I missed that you got this done Gerry, looks really good! Bet you’ll be happy to have it back together and running again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Somehow I missed that you got this done Gerry, looks really good! Bet you’ll be happy to have it back together and running again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will, but haven't done anything on it for a few days. I have been working on this fuel tank, and I hope to get at it soon. I plan to pull the motor bearings and put in sealed in stead of the open bearings with grease. It seems like a dumb idea to have to remove the motor armature to grease bearings, so for 7 bucks a bearing, I'll go with sealed.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:30 PM

Project is completed, and the drill press is back together and rotating.
All speeds are working well.