Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-19-2006, 10:49 PM

Default I don't have enough experience.

I would like to tackle another project but I feel unqualified to make a descion on which welding process to use. I am getting into autocross, using the 84 Sentra that's been sitting here growing rust for the last few years. This will be a slow speed(max maybe 65mph??) tight course car for those of you that are familiar with it. Heavy side loads on the wheels though, keeping in mind it IS still just a Prepared Sentra.
Since this is like a lot of my projects, low buck, I won't have the funds to spend on wheels for a while. "Ding" went the bell. Widen the factory steel wheels. They are 13X5" with the center small diameter section being roughly two inches wide. Hoping to take the heavy spot welds out of the centers, pop the centers out, cut one wheel as far on the left side of this 2" flat, cut another on the far right, mate them, and weld the centers back in, indicating and shimming/clamping everything as needed of course. I'd end up with close to a 7" wide wheel with whatever offset I need to build.
I know some about and feel most comfortable using 1/16" Dual-Shield for this, either on the sub arc lathe or positioner. I do a lot of sub-arc on a lathe at work. If I can get it set up for practice to get the settings RIGHT, I'd almost rather do that for refitting the two halves. I use the .035 and .045 mig a lot also and do well with it but aren't quite as confident that is the method to use.
For welding the halves, should I weld inside and out? I would think yes.
I'm thinking possibly drill 3 more small holes(would be 2 existing when I remove them) through the center "legs" where the rims mount to them and plug welding these five holes each "leg"(4 legs to each center, 20 holes total) with the Daul-Shield to remount the rims. Thoughts on this?? Overkill, incorrect procedure, not enough?

If several of you could feed me some feedback on this it'll help a lot. Thank you in advance. Loren Coffin.

Last edited by Loren; 04-19-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Grumpy Bastard

I think you have your fab work well thought out. As far as welding them plain old vanilla short circuit MIG will do ya fine. As for welding the rim halves back together I would leave a 1/16" to 3/32" open root for full penetration, tack the halves from the outside and confirm position then welding the inside pass first, grind the root from the outside as needed to clean it up and then weld the outside.

Mig the center back in and you should be golden.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Lord of the Minions

Sounds like a plan to me.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Lord of the Minions

So Loren, I've allowed another day to pass without begging for pictures, but I'm at my limits of restraint.

Where are the pics of what your doing with the rims. Befores, afters, around your backyard, who cares, pics, pics, pics.

Did I mention we like to see pics?

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:21 PM

Sorry, no pictures yet. Haven't even started yet. Posted that day and came back a couple times to check before I ripped into it and couldn't get in here. ??? Anyway, I'll get a couple wheels and see what happens. Getting the spot welded centers out of the rims seems like the hard part. I think I'll drill a heavy plate and torque it through the lugs so it'll keep me from warping the center as I'll probably have to whap it pretty good.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:24 PM

So I got a couple bare wheels to do some more looking at and see that at a max. I'll get about 6.5" width using the cut two and slice them method. Just won't cut it unless the simplicity and results warranted such a comprimise. So, I'm back to needing to cut them down the middle of the dropout center on the rim and add a ring. It'll mean two welds to each rim plus welding the center back in. I'm still game to try it but looking for opinions on what material. Metalury is NOT my strong point. Am I correct in thinking a low carbon content is a plus here with the welding and the continual flexing going to be taking place? 4120 maybe?? Or should I use 3 wheels to make one: make a cut offcenter opposite direction and two gaining some width, and a third I use just a band mounted to the wheel center and leave it wide as possible?
Hmm. Thinking a bit more that sounds pretty doable..
Old 04-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
...Metalury is NOT my strong point. Am I correct in thinking a low carbon content is a plus here with the welding and the continual flexing going to be taking place? 4120 maybe?? Or should I use 3 wheels to make one: make a cut offcenter opposite direction and two gaining some width, and a third I use just a band mounted to the wheel center and leave it wide as possible?
I would think that 4120 (a rare steel) would be over kill.
I will do some checkin' and find out what grade of steel is used in standard wheels. But maybe some one else here knows. A-36 of class 50 should do it. If you can find someone with a roller have them roll you a hoop.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Thanks Shade. If you could find that(wheel material) out it'd settle my mind a lot. I use the rolls at work too so I can roll them.
What does "of class 50" mean. Loren.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Typo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder
... A-36 or Class 50 should do it.
A-36 = 36,000 psi min yield strength
Class 50 = 50,000 psi min yield strength

Class 50 sometimes is referred to as HSLA steel (High strength low alloy).

Old 04-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Exclamation Another Idea

Here is another idea , back in the old days , we would take VW bug wheels and cut the centers out and graft in the centers for what vehicle we were running ( drag racing ) so we could run skinny front wheels , smaller contact patch faster E.T. in theory . :evil: this would be just the opposite go to the junk yard find a few wheels that would fit your centers from your car and are the correct width you want than cut out the centers and graft in the ones for your car . You should pick up a few extra wheels to practice on . we had the wheels balanced and trued when we were all done . I had not thought of this in years , and find it funny that just the opposite is being discussed here . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank