Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-11-2006, 07:13 PM
KB Fabrications

Default Mind Numbing Tig

I spent 7 hours working on these today and thought you all might find this an interesting job. One of the companies I contract for does work for a local disc manufacturer. I get these IVA manifolds in every so often for repairs to the outside corners. I'm still not sure how they are used (top secret ) but I know they are exposed to some high temps. It requires the use of Inconel 625 and is a very difficult repair to make. The wall thickness on the long side is .060 and is .040 on the short side. Lately, I have been getting these 6 at a time and they are showing up about every two to three months. I know they have a pretty large inventory of these so they get cycled pretty regularly. Every one of them has a split down each corner to the end anywhere from 6" up from the bottom to the entire length. Most of these are split along the entire length. Oh did I mention the wall thickness ? If you have ever tried to weld/repair an outside corner on something that thin using Inconel then you know what I went through today. In fact, I had to use 1/16" rod which made it even harder since it was thicker than my base. Oh well, at least it pays good.

The first two pics are of the manifolds. The third pic is of one of the splits and the last pic is of the finished repair. Hold on a minute, I'm getting a beer, errr maybe two.:evil:

Machine was Dynasty 300DX, 90 amps, 1.2pps, 65 peak, 35 background, 1/16" lanthanated tungsten. No fancy welds to show here as it all had to be ground flush for fit tolerances.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to weldrum

Looks good! I know that You need things real clean for Inconel welding.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Curmudgeon

Sheesh!

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Elite Member

I think getting the variety of work would be a bonus for a welding shop, for sure one like yours where the brunt of the work is manual, not assembly line type stuff.

This is another ad link I was checking out from SFT's solo advertiser 'practical welding' mag. Being a amateur , I am wondering if something like what they sell would be useful for this kind of job.

http://www.cerbaco.com/index.html
Old 04-11-2006, 10:18 PM
KB Fabrications

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-ray
I think getting the variety of work would be a bonus for a welding shop, for sure one like yours where the brunt of the work is manual, not assembly line type stuff.
Getting the variety of work I do is nice. One day I'm doing something like these manifolds and the next day I'm adding doo-dads to the inside of a guy's Featherlite trailer. I do end up with some limited, short runs of stuff like the cart modifications in the pictures below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-ray
This is another ad link I was checking out from SFT's solo advertiser 'practical welding' mag. Being a amateur , I am wondering if something like what they sell would be useful for this kind of job.
http://www.cerbaco.com/index.html
I do use backing with these but I can only access the first couple of inches after the opening due to the interference of an inverted shroud in the center of the sheet-metal box (look close at pic 4 above). There is only 1" clearance on the long side and 1/2" on the short side. I have a piece of 1/2" X 1" copper that works well for this. I also flood the box with argon while welding.

Last edited by KB Fabrications; 04-11-2006 at 10:48 PM.