Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-11-2006, 06:20 AM
Yes girls, he's single!

Default leaky weld

Well, it happens every now and then. You get in a rush in a tight ditch, and try to make a weld on some pipe. I don't have any pics of the cut out weld, as I didn't repair it. It was a service line to a house tapped off of a 6 inch main line. Gas company suits will decide whether to pull my card today. (I doubt it).

One major problem nowadays is lack of communication with the illegals that work with us. It is hard to convey what you need when they don't speak english. We actually had one smart-azzed illegal who thought he could get away with anything, and he actually told a foreman that if he wanted to talk to him, to use spanish. He was fired on the spot.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 04-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Dodge City Marshal

Quote:
He was fired on the spot.
We all walk this world on equal footing but one's 'attitude' can affect one's altitude..... now, if we could just keep Gummit out of trying to be the Equalizer.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 04-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Blast this!

Well good luck on the time with the suits.Did you do the original work or supervise it ?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Lord of the Reins

What type of inspection failed the weld? Did they Snoop it, sniff it or use some sort of ND testing to say it was no good? What do you mean they might pull your card, you will have to requalify? Curious minds want to know!

Now I suppose if they pull your card you will find some way to find silver in the gray. Probably making it an oppourtunity for a short vacation involving sex and alcohol! hee hee!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Yes girls, he's single!

All is good this evening. I got the designated talking to from the superintendent. Air test on the line at 300 lbs showed the leak.

The problem, as you know exactly where the suspect welds are at when you make them, is lack of communication. While I was making the weld, I had some helpers holding the pipe, and they let it sag, stretching the hot weld as I made my passes, and on my third pass, I noticed the sag, and the stretching, but it was too late, blow-out. I should have cut it out on the spot, but I didn't, I tried to repair it. Just a F-U-CK-U-P that happens. My bad. Suits relayed thru the super not to let it happen again
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 04-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Big Iron

Bad things do happen...At least they were decent about it.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to boilermaker 44 Send a message via Yahoo to boilermaker 44
Default even the best aren't perfect

I know how you feel. Last week, I failed an x-ray for the first time. I rode myself pretty hard cause there wasn't anyone to blame but myself. But my boss just said chit happens. I suppose a 1/4 inch out of 125 ft isn't too bad.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:14 PM
smitty7

Any welder that has never had a defect in a weld has never done any welding.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Yes girls, he's single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermaker 44
I know how you feel. Last week, I failed an x-ray for the first time. I rode myself pretty hard cause there wasn't anyone to blame but myself. But my boss just said chit happens. I suppose a 1/4 inch out of 125 ft isn't too bad.
I believe you can be your own worst enemy when it comes to knocking yourself for messing up, but if you don't make mistakes, you aren't working hard enough is what I was always told.

Out on the pipeline, repairs do happen, and you just go back and fix 'em, and then listen to all the ragging that goes along with it from your buddies.

I would've taken some pictures today of an 8", 45 degree elbow that I had to trim in order for it to fit. I didn't have a camera in the truck though. When the fitting is close, as in one side touching, and the opposite side within around 1 inch off, you can tack the touching side, and then take a beveling machine and run it around the fitting, trimming the fitting so that it lines up perfectly. That's just one of the tricks to make life easier in the ditch with some obstenate pipe.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Lord of the Minions

Chris, just think of the poor bstrd that designed the ground and footing works for the "Leaning Tower".

More time and money has been spent on keeping it upright and healthy than was initially spent to build it.

I'm more impressed with your posting your mis-weld and being that ok with it.

True grit and all that.

Now, my question is do you make all your welds CCW like Nascar drives?

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!