Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Lord of the Reins

Talking ebay Welder rant

Some of the stuff I see on ebay cracks me up. Almost all of 'em that I look for are engine drive. So they are all around 500# and up.

"No delivery, come get it yourself" and they don't post their location. Yeah, right. Like we are supposed to do all the work to find out where they live so we too can own a rustyass welder.

I saw a Lincoln D10-PRO with almost 4400 hrs on it. Starting price... $6395. D'oh! You can get a new air cooled diesel welder for almost that much! Must be some trailer it's sitting on, LOL! Auction over, no bidders. Well they learned from that. Relisted for $6295 starting price!

Or how about one with 4500 hrs on it that assured potential buyers that the engine oil was changed every 500 hours! Jeez... you owned it that long and change the oil 9 times?

Have seen a few listed of questionable vintage with remark "not very good with computers will try and get a photo." Or worse yet posted with a photo of a 'similar' welder!

I do notice too the most desirable used welders with highest bidding activity and end of auction sales value. seems to be the Miller Trailblazer/Legend gasoline engine welders and the Lincoln SA 200/250 series with good original paint and decals.

I did make one very good ebay score so far. A very nice Phoenix Dryrod oven with 50# capacity for $50. So the gold is there, you just have to pan through a lot of sand to find it!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Curmudgeon

Ebay is a lot like that old Wizard of Id cartoon where the King told Rodney, "the kingdom is a giant melting pot".
Rodney thought it over & said, "Sire, the trouble with melting pots is that good stuff sinks to the bottom & gets burnt but the scum always rises to the top."
You have to dip deep sometimes but there is some good stuff to be found there. And sometimes you get burnt.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-05-2006, 04:55 PM
That HURT!

Mostly high priced junk, but every once in awhile you find that gem that the seller has no clue what it is. Since they don't know what it is, they can't describe it to get a buyers interest, but since you know what it is, the bargain is yours for the taking.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:58 PM

Default Scott, What happens a lot is

the welders are bought by no-nothings from the Govt. auctions. Then they get them running and try to make a couple hundred percent profit on them. Me, I would'nt buy anything that runs off ebay unless I can see and hear it before the auction ends, but I've been burnt before I wised up.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:39 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

I've bought about 400 items (and sold 60) on eBay. Had only one bad buy, which PayPal resloved, for a full refund. That one experience taught me to look for three things:

Pictures

Pictures

Pictures

Whenever I list an item, it has a minimum of six photos, often more. Everything is sold with satisfaction guaranteed or a full refund.

Look to buy from someone who has nothing to hide. If the listing says 'No Returns', keep on looking. If there are few, or bad, photos, forgeddaboutit. If the seller has recent neutral or negative feedback - RUN!

EBay is like a river -- sit on the bank long enough, and anything you want will float by. And if you miss the first or second one, there is an endless supply that will follow.

I brag about the 90% discounts, but reality is that I usually get only 80%, sometimes only 70%, off retail. Depends. FWIW, everything is cheaper during baseball season & higher during football season.

Guess which season is just about to start??? :evil:
Old 04-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Lord of the Reins

I havn't bought a whole lot of stuff off ebay. But the best values to me so far have been new items from ebay 'stores.' Complete with manufacturer warranties.

You guys came up with some pretty good analogies to describe the ebay experience!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:36 AM

"sit on the bank long enough, and anything you want will float by"

Absolutely very true -- just yesterday I picked up 50ft of 2 AWG - 4 strand electrical wire for $10.00. Been looking for two months for a deal like that. The local Lowes wanted $350.00 -- AND IT WAS SPECIAL ORDER.

I picked up a 200 AMP subpanel with 110 and 220 breakers already installed for $20.00

Now I can finally wire up my new shop.

Ray
Old 04-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Blast this!

Ebay.I agree pictures ,definately read the fedback comments and rating.But foremast do not fall in love with anything .By this I mean there will be another one tomorrow and do not get in a bidding war.I personelly hate reserves .If you are going to start at 1.00 be willing to sell for that or start at your minimum sale price . I have a low buy number but all larger ticket items.Skidloader ,computer ,ect.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Curmudgeon

Good for you, Ray.
I too have had very good luck on ebay - when I really worked at it, like Precisionworks said.
Roger Zelazny once wrote that there is a legend about Tokyo Bay which says that everything that is dropped into the water will eventually wash back onto the shore. So when you walk along the water's edge, you find all sorts of things - coins, matchbooks, wedding rings, screwdrivers, bottle caps and of course, condoms - that universal symbol of mankind's instinctive drive to procreate ..... but not tonight.
Ebay seems to be just that way too - everything eventually appears. What you pick up is entirely up to you.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-06-2006, 01:07 PM
That HURT!

Cutter you hit it on the head "You have to work at it". There are good deals to be had but you have to work to find them. I was in the market for some ATVs and I couldn't justify the cost for new, so I started looking on e-bay. It took me almost a year and travel to 4 different states, but I wound up buying 4 machines less than a year old for less than it would have cost me for 2 new machines. It occupied almost an hour of my time every day to find the right deal (that's work) but it was worth it in the end. I buy and sell alot on there and have not been burnt (knock on wood). I always ask the seller a question before I bid (even if I know the answer) just to see how they respond. Less than 100% positive feedback and I walk, unless it's a power sell with a few hundred transactions (theres always someone that will be unhappy for some reason). Take your time and use your head, it's a good system, although PayPal sucks.