Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Elite Member

Default White 700 makeover

I teased you folks with some pictures of my old White700 FWA tractor, so here are some more.
My tractor is an all around chore horse. It plays crane and engine hoist, to dirt mover and snow mover, depending on the season. I converted a Ferguson 7' cultivator with a set of Herman harrows, and rebuilt a set of 20' tine harrows to round out my implements. It has proved to be a reliable and sound tractor, but winter comfort was something to be desired, so I sourced an old cab from a John Deere. I understand the cab is actually a generic that could be made to fit several models, not just Deere's - I have seen the same cab on Massey's and others. It took a bit of whittling, but It is on, and blowing snow is much more comfortable now! I am going to box in the back of the cab to allow access for the fuel tank, but it will likely be a next summer project now. I have no plans on adapting a set of doors for it either, since I would have to rebuild the one door that came with the cab, and try to source another door, then rebuild that one. I am also going to cut the lower section of the doorway off, since it is just mostly in the way anyway.

1: The tractor before
2: The cab before
3: "leftovers"
4: Tractor with cab, in winter garb
5: The draft i have to deal with
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bare tractor.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	97721   Click image for larger version

Name:	bare cab.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	97722   Click image for larger version

Name:	leftovers.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	97723   Click image for larger version

Name:	tractor with cab.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	97724   Click image for larger version

Name:	the draft.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	97725  

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

A friend of mine built cab doors for his tractor out of 3/8 rod and covered it with heavy clear plastic, held in place with clear tape. The shaping is easy, just bend the rod. The doors are light and can be lifted off for summer. It would seem that a piece of conveyor belting would cover the back of the cab over the fuel tank. If it were fastened on the front edge it could be lifted to fill the tank, but would keep the snow etc. out.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Post Fiend

Looks good Rusty! That might be a Year-a-Round cab. Doesn't look like a Hiniker that I've seen. I would fix the door you have and plexiglass the other side in. You can't get off both sides at the same time.

We put a Hiniker on dads 4020 several years ago and even without heat plumbed cab (his deal not mine) it is comfortable in there in the winter and will defrost the windows in about 20 minutes. In the summer the doors lock open and act like big scoops to bring air in.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Auction Addict

Never had much use for doors unless you have A/C. My stuff is too old to even know about A/C.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I agree, looks good, great idea.