Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 08-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Founder: Machining Forum

Don't forget, I acquired around 150,000 belts of all shapes and sizes in an auction a few months back. Give me the dimensions and I will send you the belt or one dang close to it. I have several wide belts. I finally started going through them this weekend and trying to organize what I have.

Someone else on here was asking about a very long belt for a lawnmower, if you will PM me again I will hook you up.

Slim

Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJim View Post
Don't forget, I acquired around 150,000 belts of all shapes and sizes in an auction a few months back. Give me the dimensions and I will send you the belt or one dang close to it. I have several wide belts. I finally started going through them this weekend and trying to organize what I have.

Someone else on here was asking about a very long belt for a lawnmower, if you will PM me again I will hook you up.

Slim

Any leather belts??

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 08-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Founder: Machining Forum

Moe I had some, i just went to check the box and they are gone. Someone has been picking through the pile and got the leather belts out. Most of them were really long. I am only left with new rubber and judging form the pictures they are not going to do you much good unless someone knows a way to splice them.

Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 AM
Lord of the Minions

Gwiz had to find the thread for Red and allow me to find I was mentioned by Moe. Well, better late than never.

Quote:
Also a scarf jont isn't a butt joint. My memory is fuzzy but Jef can correct me if I'm wrong . I seem to recall it is two forty five degree cut. 45 across and 45 down.
Moe your close, but the angle is a bit more than just 45° for something 'skived' or 'scarfed'.

See pic.

With leather belting that I put on clutches on very old machines or autos/trucks of say Hudson 1910's or Caddy's of a bit earlier vintage, the cut is actually in two directions. First cut to see from the outer side of the belt is across at closer to 58° to 60° and the scarf angles are somewhere between 70° to 80° through the thickness of each side.

Now, understand this comes from taking apart old belt driven and leather belted clutch assy's from my work with Antique cars and trucks of another era. The books written of the day bear this out, so I've stuck with those numbers.

My rule of thumb is, if the leather flat belt is 1" wide, the scarf joint could be as much as 1 1/2 X the width across the face of the belt.

I've made dozens of clutch friction discs with leather as well as leather flat belts for museum type setups of lathes and milling machines etc driven by long shaft setups and these belts did not fail under working loads.

With the adheasives we have today compaired to what I had to work with in the 70's and 80's, well, there is just no comparisons really by today's standard.

While I do still stitch the leather for such things, I really only do it for the more authentic representation of it, plus the fact when I do a clutch or fan/pump f/belt etc, the customer may well be judged on it's period replication at a National judging and the correct stitching has to be there and obviously correct.

For my needs, like for what I'll make for the newest addition SB in the shop will be a single scraf angle with stitching opposite the pulleys, laid slightly below into the leather where the pulleys ride.

If it works, don't reinvent the wheel.

If any want to know how to join two pieces of wood for a wooden main wing spar, we can get into that later. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flat belt joining.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	104725  

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Da Chief

Welp, that's mildly embarrassing.
I couldn't find a thread I started. (Gee, it was only 4 years ago, my, how time flies...)

I guess the little Crapsman will always be an Atlas to me, no matter what it was born as, lol. (is that machine envy , or what...)

Anywhoo, thank you, one and all. I plan to stop by HF this morning, on my way to work, If there is no love, Granger is a couple miles further up the road.

One way or the other, I should have a fix by nightfall.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:31 AM

South Bend had the lather flat belt for my SB10 back some years ago, AIRC it was about $75 or $80 for one. I didn't get one from them, but you could check with them(jest for fun)
Joe
Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM
That HURT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post

RED
I didn't know you could be embarrassed.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Post Fiend

Fellas I don't know spit about flat leather belts but there is an Amish harness shop twenty miles from the house and I would gladly drop by and ask him to make some belts for anyone who needs them. I'm pretty sure he would at least be able to provide the material and you could make your own joint at the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I couldn't find a thread I started.
Red, that was the first thing I noticed once I clicked on the link that Gwiz posted.

Due to friendships and the utmost respect I have for my fellow BlueWater friends, I opted to not say a word. But I did have a zinger in mind.

I'm seeing others across the world using serpentine belts in place of leather. I'm sure that this would work as well as the leather and last equally.

I'm fortunate that I have a local family owned, 3 generation leather repair shop. Saddles, interior, shoes etc etc etc and get all of my needs right there. They will usually jump right on anything I walk in and ask for.

I'll bring them a box of doughnuts and leave with a fresh cup of coffee, my leather and a little cup of their 'old school' leather glue for my job.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM

for those interested in flat belting,....

there is a guy in pennsylvania who does leather or new material flat belt replacements. he has measurements for common machines like south bend lathes and such....

http://www.flatdrivebelts-anysize.com/

i had him do a very long belt that did not exist for an old camel back drill i have. he knew how to calculate the length after i took measurements. gave me the mathmatical equation to do so and made up what i needed. i have read that leather has better traction ability but obvious drawbacks related to humidity and age. you also need the right kind of wax for proper function. another flat belt drill owner i know told me that the only company making such wax just stopped two years ago. don't know if'n that's true. just sayin.

he also told me i could pick up the "rubber" flat belting at tractor supply by the foot. i picked up 30 feet...plus the metal lacing. unfortunately the kind of lacing i got needs the machine to install it. oops. i cut the belt with my wood band saw. i then laced up the small camel back i have using old style lacing with waxed string. i found lacing patterns plus the formula for determining length in my audells guide to electric motors. it might also exist in other guides as well. i would scan it and post it but the darn thing is from the last century and coupled with the crappy old windows computator it would take me a half hour to do.

plus it's all in my oldest teenager's room. need i say more?

a couple of years ago i decided it was time to put a new belt on my logan lathe as the splice on the old canvas impregnated belt put a wobble in the stroke that bugged the crud out of me and made it impossible to get a clean cut. i just took the old belt off after removing the spindle and meausured for a new one. found a close match on some automotive website for the serpentine belts. now it runs smooth as heck and i can make clean cuts.

when i was trying to find the serpentine belt, i just typed "serpentine belt and the lenght" into the search engine and it was very easy. the cost for the serpentine was about a $ per inch. the belting by the guy in penn was about 60 cents and inch. tractor supply was about 30 cents and inch.

i have another camelback i need to get up and running and happen to find a box of hammer on lacing in a box next to my boiler(old house) plus i have and old conehead lathe waiting to be restored......

i posted this for future flat belt needers....