Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 PM
SFT Historian

Be sure to take the outer race with you or measure it.
When it comes to tapered bearings some give you a selection of the outer diameters.

At times I had to purchase the outer race separate according to it's OD.

Also ask them the price of the next higher class/grade of bearing, if its like $5.00 more then go up a class or so.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
5. here are the pair of bearings and the collet indexing pin noted with an arrow. This one doesn't appear to be a set screw or it's already been leveled to the wall of the spindle sleeve.
Looks like we just synced up on projects. Yesterday I pulled my spindle and replaced the the index pin (set screw) in my mill.

The R8 collet is not a standard collet. It is a Bridgeport part. When it became common, there was no standard and the manufactures overseas did not copy the Bridgeport collet exactly. On many of these mills made "over-there" the import collets will fit in the spindle fine, but real Bridgeport collets will not slide into the spindle. Mine was one of those. After much bluing and test fitting, I determined the alignment pin was screwed in too far. The OD of the pin was ok.

Mine takes a 4mm set screw. I used a Bridgeport collet in the spindle, and ground the set screw until the head was just buried in the spindle and it was about 1/4 turn from bottoming in the collet keyway. A little Loctite to hold it in place and now my Bridgeport collets will slide right in.

This is my long winded way of telling you to be careful when you replace the pin. If you set it to fit import collets, you may not be able to get R8 shanks made to Bridgeport standards to work in your mill.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:09 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Photos???
Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Be sure to take the outer race with you or measure it.
When it comes to tapered bearings some give you a selection of the outer diameters.

At times I had to purchase the outer race separate according to it's OD.

Also ask them the price of the next higher class/grade of bearing, if its like $5.00 more then go up a class or so.
Races!!!! Races????
You expect me to get the damned races out too????

Ok, the races are in the bag with the bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriHonu View Post

This is my long winded way of telling you to be careful when you replace the pin. If you set it to fit import collets, you may not be able to get R8 shanks made to Bridgeport standards to work in your mill.
Short answer: thank you TriHonu, but I don't believe I have to replace the pin in mine. It is a little narrower than the index slot so there's some slop - just a visual inspection indicates it would be on the order of an 1/8" square pin & a 3/16ths" slot. But the collets I have slide in & out easily and they locked down just fine. I don't really know how to anticipate whether they'll fit everything that might come along in the future, so we'll see.

Beyond that, dis-assembly next time should be a fairly easy exercise, if needed. The only real challenge this time was the damned races , and that was more a matter of patience than anything else.

Now you might be sure that troutman reads this since it was he who said he sheared his index pin yesterday.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 AM
Armchair Webbie

I don't have an index pin for the collets, in my machine. And no, it wasn't sheared off. It never had one. It's never been a problem, though. The cheap, Bridgport clone at work, had a set screw for a pin, that kept disappearing. There was never any time to fix it so, it got used without one too. I know it's not right but, that's what happens when you're over worked and under staffed.

Dave
Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 AM

hi cutter,
been following your thread as it is right along where i'm at with mine. david lee has a point. i did use the machine after the pin sheared off. seem to work fine. but....the old saying, if it aint broke, don't fix it just doesn't seem to work in this instance. i'm gonnna try dropping the spindle this morning and see how long it takes. i'm pressed for time on a constant basis too. so i'm gonna try the shortcut since this machine has virtually no hours on it.

i'll let you know how it goes for future reference.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Curmudgeon

Lad says they have Timken bearings for me for $40.69 for the pair, plus tax of course.
I think that'll do.

I'll pick them up in a little while.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
I don't have an index pin for the collets, in my machine. And no, it wasn't sheared off. It never had one. It's never been a problem, though. The cheap, Bridgport clone at work, had a set screw for a pin, that kept disappearing. There was never any time to fix it so, it got used without one too. I know it's not right but, that's what happens when you're over worked and under staffed.

Dave

The only purpose for the pin is to keep the collet stationary til the draw bar snugs it up a tad, then friction takes over.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 03-25-2010, 12:21 PM

back again,
tried the shortcut. it was great until i tried to put the spindle back. could'nt seat the top bearings in there like that. not enough room or threads to do it that way. so i had to drop everything out the bottom and seat the bearings and tighten the screws before replacing. except with my unit, the lower set of bearings are a self contained unit that the spindle seats against and inside of. so i didn't have to remove those. i also found that the set screw i sheared was not a screw at all but some threaded rod that was cut off after peening it in place. so i replaced it with a set screw after drilling it out. all in all, a couple of hours work. good to know in the future i suppose.

once again, thanks for your help.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Elite Member

For your drawbar removal pleasure, this just popped up on craigslist.

He wants $1700 for it, haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3mb3p13o75Q45Z15P1a3p70bee42f4a2a12f9.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	59011   Click image for larger version

Name:	3n63k63p35Z45Q15S2a3p823071ea070c1441.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	59012