Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-01-2007, 02:47 PM

The snap binder is to hold the door closed. One on each side. Cheap easy and pretty much fool proof. I usually only lock one side though. They are just the little 1/4 inch ones.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:49 PM

Default thanks

Thanks Weldor great job....You said at one point that the halves are unequal is that true ?? what percentage would you say?? any chance of a drawing or pict of the detail where the lower half rides the building going up??Also any chance of that opener releasing and letting the door crash?? Thanks Jeff www.swainsspring.com
Old 12-01-2007, 04:30 PM

There is 1/2 x 4 x 6 angle above the door for a header. With the door hanging under the angle it is hinge of the front side. The bottom half is 4" longer than the top so that offsets the added lenght of the leg of the angle.
The opener has a brake on the side of it. It is spring applied and electrically released. The other option is is to find a worm drive. Depends on what you have available for parts to work with.The side frames were built up with 3/8 x 4 x 6 angle. I welded it to the chanel frame of the building. The bottom of the door has 1" pins welded to it with a sealed roller bearing on each side. These bearings run in 3" chanel welded to the angle. Just makes a track for the bottom to run in I have built a couple of these for the local airport. The longest on was 82 ft. It just ran against the front of the building. I was worried that being that small the wind might lift it up. Has never happened though.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:34 PM

Default wind

you must get wind like here..60-80 mph is not uncommon and if it isnt blowin 10 daily somethings wrong...LOL Thanks again for the info..Jeff
Old 12-01-2007, 04:49 PM

Once ia awhile we get wind like that rare though. Just wanted to try and think if everything. If you door is going to be that big I would put 5 hinges across. Saftey factor you know.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Blast this!

Yours looks like it opens a lot. How much are you losing in door opening size. I want to replace the overhead o my blast room but can not lose and of the 13' opening.This is because concret trucks and some gravity wagons are there.Othe option is free stand door and the building is a quanset ,with a 2'loss the door is taller than the side of the building.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:21 PM

I'm not losing ay height. I have the door hinged about 28 " above the opening. On a quonset type building you need to build a beam frame for the door. Sometimes the corners will be above the building.