Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-20-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Welding on 4 wheeler frame

I have some cracks and broken tabs on a 450 Honda that need welding (round tubing). Was wondering if this stuff is 4130 ? and is there anything special I need to do ? I was thinking of using my MM350P. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Lord of the Minions

Without getting into what particular properties of your frame, wether it's 4130 etc, you can use your mig, as that would be a preferred method of repair.

I have found that what the imported frames tend to be is a little less in steel quality than what an American frame would be made out of. With the import more likely to break or to be crack prone. You may find it a little harder to make good weld. I always thought it was a little like trying to weld on bed spring frames etc. Seems you could almost see how cheaply produced the steel was.

Most or all of the following you probably already know.

Now, the more important aspect of the repairing of the cracks, breaks, etc is how much weld you add to one particular area as frames are built with often allowable flexing at different areas of said frame.

If one tube is completely broken thru, seperated, then butt the pieces and weld back up and add a wrap to exceed in length on either side of the break a few inches. I doesn't have to be a full 360deg wrap. 3/4 wrap is usually more than sufficient.

Looking at the way the other areas of the frame and how it is gusseted and additional material where the seperate factory joints will give you an idea as to this.

Using your mig and lowering the heat and feeds to be in a range for the thickness of the frames material is/will be fine. One thing for sure, clean the areas to be welded of all paint and all grease/lube etc. Clean it thoroughly.

Cracks in places of gussets can be ground to a semi "V" to allow for penetration, without excessive bead build up or crown.

Too much welding in one area, or the extra addition of welds to one area of the frame will increase stiffness and allow less flex that was originally there. Added and unecessarily big welds will make for future bigger breaks and more cracks.

Using your mig and keeping the heated areas to a minimum is what your looking for.

If you could add some pics of a particular crack or area of intended repair would allow for more information if your in need.

Fixing your frame is do-able and adding over-kill welds can be as easy to do also.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 04-21-2006 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Lord of the Minions

Soooooo?

What did you try?

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-22-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhiway
Soooooo?

What did you try?
I am going too have to get a new rack ordered(its beyond repair) from Honda so I can locate the tabs before welding new ones on as the originals were pulled out. This is what happens when two big guys sit on each side of the driver, on the rack, going to the Pit. Will use the 350p, maybe with pulse and 70s6.