Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-08-2006, 11:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to speedphreak
Default Panasonic Welding machines

I ahvent done a search or anything but I cant recall ever seeing anyone Ever mention Panasonic welders. Is this because no-one else was stupid enough to buy one or is it because the just havent developed much of a following in North America. We had two until a few weeks ago when we replace on with an Invision and I considered them to be half decent machines, if a little cantankerous at times. First welding machine I ever ran into that had an additude problem.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedphreak
I ahvent done a search or anything but I cant recall ever seeing anyone Ever mention Panasonic welders. Is this because no-one else was stupid enough to buy one or is it because the just havent developed much of a following in North America. We had two until a few weeks ago when we replace on with an Invision and I considered them to be half decent machines, if a little cantankerous at times. First welding machine I ever ran into that had an additude problem.
I see them every once and awhile usually with older robots. I think service and support was the issue, can't say I have seen a new one. I see more OTC's but that is usually running on a OTC robot. Most Panasonic get replaces by blue or red.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-08-2006, 07:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to AntiBling Send a message via MSN to AntiBling

We have a bunch of, well not real old, but older panasonic 350s that we use. Our plant, is the highest producing, so we are lucky enough we only use the Miller Axcess and the Panasonics, the other plant is still using Chemtrons in some places.

On our main machine we build, which is over 8 months a year, I use a Panasonic. Some of the guys at work dont like them, say they spatter too much, but I can sweet spot mine so if I hold it right it doesnt get much spatter at all.

I cant say I got really any complaints about it? I mean I could compare it to the Millers but they are a higher class machine. It would be like apples and oranges. Its got a nice arc IMO, and really, I wouldnt ever hesitate to have one setup in my shop. The millers actually break down far more often then the Panasonics.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:04 PM

There is a welder sales guy that I see at the Lincoln swap meet and also at Clay county fair. He sells them and some Thermal Arc / Thermal Dynamics stuff.

They have a 260 multiprocess kind of like ESAB does. I don't know much about them besides what I have heard has been good as in they are a decent machine but I have seen them new for sale.

Don
Old 04-08-2006, 09:38 PM

we have one on a robotic ring welding machine runs 2 shifts never missed a beat in over 2 years now
Old 04-08-2006, 10:20 PM

My neighbor has one and really likes it. It is used on the farm and restoring old tractors and he has had no problems with it.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Elite Member

This place sells some of feeder/powersource combo types.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Quimby...919429QQsofpZ0
Old 04-09-2006, 02:56 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_S
There is a welder sales guy that I see at the Lincoln swap meet and also at Clay county fair. He sells them and some Thermal Arc / Thermal Dynamics stuff.

They have a 260 multiprocess kind of like ESAB does. I don't know much about them besides what I have heard has been good as in they are a decent machine but I have seen them new for sale.

Don
It's not a true muti-process machine like the Esab 260 mutimaster.
No pulse or tig option. Mig/Stick or Mig/Plasma.

That place Ray has pointed out is local for me and are decent people.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:02 PM

Good machines, as ong as you turn them off to switch between stick & mig, or mig and plasma. last you forever then...... These machines have lots of jam. A 260 easiy pushes 300 amps, with 150 DC amps for stick.

Costs around the $1800 mark and tax in Edmonton.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:51 AM

The plant I work at has prolly a dozen or so of these guys around. I dont recall ever seeing the maintenance guys working on them. (Keep in mind, Im I.T. so I dont see everything that happens on the floor) Our 'operators' arnt the best out there either. Bunch of nethanderthals if you ask me. If they arnt breaking them, Id say its a decent welder.