Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 02-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Elite Member

Default Best Gas forge/ Power Hammer?

Greetings everyone,

I know there are a couple of blacksmiths on this site, so I am asking a question of those who might have an opinion. My boss has been mentioning about buying a gas forge and power hammer and has asked me to research them. I have looked at a couple of sites- (Power hammer companies) and Anvil Fire.com, but haven't got in too far yet.
I wonder if anyone here might have some opinions on what would be good ones to get. Features to look for, etc.

We will making tables and iron furniture, I guess.

Any other sites that I should look at for more information?

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Honestly I built my own, and most people do just that.

things to look for would be how effieceint they are, which could be determined by how it makes use of fire brick, kaowool, and then a refractory cement on top of that. How many blowers or torches they have. Whether it is forced air or atmospheric. I tried to make mine atmospheric but ended up forcing air through it with a small shop vac.

You will get better ideas from here if you can give us an idea of size that is needed? what is being made? Does it need to be able to get to forge welding temperatures?

I know there are more experienced smithers on here than me, but Just a few places to start.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Cranky Crustacean

A good research spot and perhaps a good machine purchase spot also would be http://www.iforgeiron.com/

Buying a powerhammer would be different than building one although there is a lot of positive info on the "Tire Hammers" over those that are a century old. An antique might be super from the hobby standpoint ,but troublesome for a business unless the purchased antique one has been refurbished. You'd still be facing "down time" if something on an antique broke though.

My personal vote for a business situation would be a Tire Hammer 'new' construction from a cost or function standpoint. I think they can be purchased already fabricated or as partial kits or as plans... Lots of options.

There are also "air actuated" hammers that a lot of folks like a lot... but they seem expensive to me.

There are several types of "Helve hammers" too.. nothing more than an
arm actuated by an eccentric and probably the least expensive type of power hammer to make although there were many factory made ones built also.

The most common antique type is a Little Giant and there seems to be substantial repair backup should something go haywire.

A forge isn't quite as complicated...Once you figure out how you want to heat the metal... Gas probably is the least trouble in a production situation unless there is a huge pile of coal in your back lot

I've done a lot of research on the various types of hammers & forges and have several plans/designs for homemade styles should that direction interest you.

You'll be amazed at the various types of hammers that have been constructed over more than a hundred years...Actually many hundreds of years
Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

Thank for the info so far guys. Checking out iforgeiron now.
My boss does not think we have the time to build our own, so he is leaning towards buying a premade professional hammer and forge. Will be a gas forge.
He has been getting ideas that this could do well in our area, and wants to expand a little. Of course, I know that I will be the one doing the work, so I have a lot of learning to do. (or maybe this will be a way to get him down on the job shop floor more!)
As far as what we will be making? Tables with turned down legs, and who knows what else. Anything that will sell, I guess, and that we might be able to make a profit on.
Right now we are small job shop that about 75% of our business is related to houses. From steel posts and I beams to hand railings, spiral staircases,. and even custom SS Hoods. The other 25% is small to large welding repairs, light machine work (Lathe, mill) Fortunately, we have been busy the last year or so, (but then we are down to only 2 guys in the shop, he had as many as 10 about 15 years ago) with the downturn in the economy, but the houses we have been working on seem to have no budgets. I have noticed a huge downturn in walk in traffic to buy steel since steel prices went up about 6 years ago.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Standard of Excellence

As far as forges go, I have made a half a dozen or so for different folks. All the same design, all the same burners. Google Ron Reil burners. I use only atmosoheric, as it limits the fire scale. The more air you add, the hotter the flame, the more fire scale. Building a forge shouldn't take more than a day. The good thing about building it is that you then have a real good idea on wht is going on, and you can change/adapt it to different sized pieces, add/block off burners, depending on your needs.
I had a star foundry mechanical hammer, made in the 1920's, and it worked greast after some rework on the bearings, and springs. I have a shop built air hammer now. To be honest, the old mechanical hammer was every bit as good, if not better, than the air hammer. If I was going to buy another hammer, I would likely buy a Little Giant. All parts are readily available for them, most parts can be made in the shop. As far as the new air hammers, the Sahliner (sp?), Iron kiss, et al, are all good hammers. A little too spendy for my tastes though. They don't run on an air compressor, they have a reciprocating piston type of set up that moves the tup (hammer head).
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Cranky Crustacean

This is a shot of my favorite "helve type" hammer finding an original might be an exercise in lost causes,but as you can see the design is quite simple..

I have several other types of designs saved also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hathorn helve hammer.jpg
Views:	2272
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	101873  
Old 02-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

What are you going to be doing with the forge and hammer? The Big Blu hammer made in NC is a super nice air hammer. I have used an older 100 lb model a lot and it is a joy to use. http://www.bigbluhammer.com/

The NC Tool line of naturally aspirated forges are nice but they are smaller than what might be needed for heavy commercial use. http://www.nctoolco.com/index.htm

If I knew the purpose I could better advise you.