Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Big Shovel

Default ATV truck bed rack

Ok, I've had this idea for several years now, and I'm looking for some input by some real weldors.

I am going to build a 4-wheeler rack that sits above the truck bed. I have all of that material, and it is kind of a no-brainer, what I need is some input on how to build (or just buy) the ramps. In order to climb up on top of the bed, you need longer (10-12 ft) ramps. the 6 footers will not work.

I could buy some folding 10 ft aluminum ramps for around $400 bucks. Is there a safe way to build these myself outta aluminum? Or should I use steel. I think I could build steel, and might trust it more, but it would be heavy.

If I hauled 2 atv's all the time I would just buy the 2 place hauler in the pictures below, but I don't want that thing hanging over all the time. I haul an atv to the job almost every day, and it's a pain because I have to empty out all of my "junk"

atv carrier website
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BedSpaceLoaded (Medium).jpg
Views:	10597
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	18877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rampangle55-2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	18878  
Old 01-03-2007, 02:09 PM

Smile width problems?

That is a neat concept to haul a couple of four wheelers, just a word of caution, the width of the floor looks like it sticks out on both sides of the pickup. In most states, the maximum legal width is 96" (8ft), for a car or pickup truck, and that includes anything attached to increase that width.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:22 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Welcome aboard, wirefed. And thank you for posting that location.
Feel free to post an page in the Memeber Intro's forum.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 01-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Lord of the Minions

Just seems dangerous for the loading and unloading. But then, climbing ladders can be as well. lol

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Below Wholesale

I see those all the time in Mi....but for some reason I have never seen them anywhere else??? Looks like a pain to load, tons of wind resistance, a pretty wide load, and bulky to get in/out of your truck.

you said you only want to make a one place wide one? Thats only half as bad

As for the ramps. Steel would be way too heavy. I woudl venture to say 80-100 lbs per ramp. Aluminum as you have found is pretty pricey. For the price of the aluminum ramps you could buy a single place trailer!
Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 PM

Not what you were asking about, but just some different thought:
A of the farmer/ranchers have gone to the hay lift beds on their trucks instead of spikes. You know the kind that the arms store along side the bed, then swing out and down to grab the bales and rotate them onto the flatbeds?
Now they all carry their 4-wheelers on their beds and load and unload them with short chains or straps, using the hay lift arms.
Saw one the other day in the back of a regular pickup and there was one of those pickup cranes in the corner of the bed and I noticed that it was hooked to chains on the 4-wheeler, so I guess he was loading and unloading with the crane hoist.
A folding base crane hoist mounted to your raised platform?
Dobber
Old 01-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Elite Member

Why not a trailer?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244
Why not a trailer?
55 mph limit

Can not use carpool lane.

Also- if you wanted to take yer boat and Atvs to the playground at the same time
Spoolmate 100
SO 2020 Bender
Miller 125c Plasma
TA 185

Last edited by Broccoli1; 01-03-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
The Right Stuff

Send a message via AIM to tigman250 Send a message via MSN to tigman250

just throwing ideas arround, why not one of the reese hitch "style" carriers? it would have to be a bigger and better version with more bracing but you could load your wheeler sideways right behind the tailgate. make it so it folds up or pulls completly out.

as far as the longer ramps it would all depend on what type of material you go with, i would suggest aluminum for it's weight advantage but the price would be a bear?? do you plan on sq tube? rect tube? angle? extruded? i think you could make some prety light ramps with triangulation or strongbacks.

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:29 PM

DirtDigger, I gotta agree with Tigman. I see these things carrying the little mobility scooters for Handicapped all the time. Just beef up the original design and add a fold down ramp to one side. Due to the weight, use the original tube reciever and add another on each side below the frame rail. 3 places of attachment to distribute the weight and with the atv removed, the tailgate will still fold down. This would also dramaticaly reduce the ramp angle.

PS - would make a great workbench also