Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Nutbuster

Default One Cylinder Boring

This is a stand I made for boring 1 cylinder engines. I needed to bore a e-z go golf cart engine and put a sleeve in it. I diden't have the fancy boring mill to bore it with so I made this stand for use with my 905 Perfecto Van Norman boring bar. The Van Norman boring bar indexes off the head surface of 6 Cylinder and V-8 engines. I machined both sides of the 1 1/2" plate steel and milled a step around the inside to accept a plate insert to hold the jug/engine cylinder. It makes it like the head surfaces on the 6 and 8 cylinder engines. It has a bolt pattern on it to index off the head part of the jug/engine cylinder. I used it to bore and sleeve on the e-z go rngine it worked real easy. Now I'm going to try to bore a 4 cylinder wisconsin VF-4 they have 2, 2 cylinder jugs, I'm going to have to make a special insert for them. Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cimg0143.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	41297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cimg0144.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	41298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cimg0145.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	41299  
Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Duke of Rock

Send a message via Yahoo to Dallas B

I have one of them in my shop................
Old 02-07-2009, 05:48 AM

I think that's pretty slick. I was trying to figure out which old saying was applicable, 'utilization of available resources' or 'necessity is the mother of invention'...anyway I'd like to see a picture of your set-up on a Wisconsin block when you have it ready. Wish I had one of those boring units myself. Phil
Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

The Wisconsin V-4 is a wonderful engine and is long lived and dependable. Having said that it is not very forgiving on the overhaul and you have to hold tight tollerences on everything. Also it is prone to oil leaks so the gaskets have to be perfect. But then, I am sure you knew all that. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:08 PM

those van norman boring bars are sweeeeet

1946 Monarch Hardened Wayu 18x48 (will swing 20x54)
YCI Supermax 10x50
Thermal Arc 300GTSW 1.5 hrs
Triumph 1050 Speed Triple
Kawasaki KFX 450R
Old 02-08-2009, 06:58 PM

Default Boring Fixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman56 View Post
This is a stand I made for boring 1 cylinder engines. I needed to bore a e-z go golf cart engine and put a sleeve in it. I diden't have the fancy boring mill to bore it with so I made this stand for use with my 905 Perfecto Van Norman boring bar. The Van Norman boring bar indexes off the head surface of 6 Cylinder and V-8 engines. I machined both sides of the 1 1/2" plate steel and milled a step around the inside to accept a plate insert to hold the jug/engine cylinder. It makes it like the head surfaces on the 6 and 8 cylinder engines. It has a bolt pattern on it to index off the head part of the jug/engine cylinder. I used it to bore and sleeve on the e-z go rngine it worked real easy. Now I'm going to try to bore a 4 cylinder wisconsin VF-4 they have 2, 2 cylinder jugs, I'm going to have to make a special insert for them. Kevin
In the early 60s, I worked at a parts house/machine shop, and the machinist had a similar plate bolted to a steel work table that he used on the one and two cylinder engines. He supported the cylinder with long threaded rods, and a companion plate on the bottom. I also saw him use a dry cylinder hone, when he was taking a small overbore on the cylinder.
Ed