Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Tuned-Up Big Builder

Default Little Patriotism Project

The 911 flag thread inspired me to do this simple project. Made a flag holding bracket for the house. Left the other one at my old house so I needed one so I could contribute my small part to patriotism ( compared to so many others major contributions) on 911. So that's it. I brazed the square tube to the plate then used small concrete anchors to mount it to the brick in the mortar joints. I secure flag pole in sq. tube with a stainless 1/4" bolt with lock nut so a magic negro doesn't run off through the cotton fields with it. Question: Is it improper to leave flag out if it's raining since it's supposed to be a soaker here on 9-11??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brk 1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	35889   Click image for larger version

Name:	brk2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	35890   Click image for larger version

Name:	brk3.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	35891   Click image for larger version

Name:	brk4.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	35892   Click image for larger version

Name:	flag brk.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	35893  

Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Twice the size--half the man

Good looking flag mount GT. Blends right in, and I bet is sturdier than any that you usually find. I may just steal that idea for my pair

Traditionally, no, it's supposed to be protected from rain. However, it is not a major insult--only a minor one. The biggest thing is to make sure it's nice and dry when you store it again so that it won't mold or mildew.

Our boys will be putting out 200 starting at 6:15am, rain or shine. The only time we don't fly them is during a thunderstorm. The idea of small boys, 10' metal poles, and lightning is never a good one.

I fired up the big truck and took it to the gas station for a drink in anticipation of tomorrow's events. Realized the inspection sticker expired last week

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Tuned-Up Big Builder

Thanks Dubby, sounds like ya' got some good honorable kids in your company tomorrow. Hope ya'll have a good weather break for them.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:50 AM
Below Wholesale

It is no problem displaying an American Flag during times of rain( I definably have hoisted one plenty of times when I would rather not have been there). The only stipulation is that it be an "all weather flag" that is one designed to be outside and will not be damaged by wind or water.

If you intend on having it out all night make sure that its illuminated though!
Old 09-11-2008, 04:58 AM

Default nice

nice brazing job, i have my moments welding and brazing, but i do a lot of brazing for my job, i actually enjoy it, i can stick most things together

i do admire american patriotism, i don't even own a New Zealand flag, and i live there, but judging by the way the parliement stuff round, i not to proud of our country

i will have a flag on my truck oneday, still reckon painting the confederate flag on the roof will be a hoot. i know not all americans like that flag, but here, first thing people thing of is the dukes of hazzard.

hows the best way to illuminate a flag?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 AM

Shine a light on it.

They make solar spot lights, or lots of folks have a light wired in somehow to their house electricity. It just sits in the yard and points up.

We got our flags out. Hit 17 houses in a little over an hour and a half . Raining cats and dogs here, no defroster in the truck, and the boy, wife and I don't fit in that standard cab like we used to. I have been looking for a new truck for a while, but I may just jump up and go buy a little trailer today. This morning's experience was miserable!!!

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 09-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Tuned-Up Big Builder

We got our flags out. Hit 17 houses in a little over an hour and a half

17 houses?? Putting flags on them also or picking up kids??
Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Just setting flags out. Should've been a 20-30 minute job. Each house is on a route, and the flag's location is marked with a black spray paint stripe on the curb. A chart we carry in the trucks has a marking system that tells us where a PVC pipe is sunk in the yard to accept the base of the flag pole. Usually goes pretty quick.

Today though, with the rain coming all at once, every curb was covered with water--making the stripe almost impossible to see. Then, since the PVC is in the ground similar to a sprinkler head, the grass was fluffed up over all the holes. It didn't help that this was the first time I've done this particular route.

However, this is a good fund raising project for the boys. Much better than door-to-door popcorn, candy, or other useless crap selling. They get to provide a service, and the customers tell all their neighbors--selling more flags. We only do the full American Flags 6 days a year, but the older boys (mostly the ones that can already drive) set out Texas Tech flags on game days.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 09-11-2008, 10:28 AM
SFT Brewmaster

nice project and it looks good....only thing i might have done diffent is at the very base where you brazed it ...i would have left a little hole to allow moisture from condensation and or rain to run out if it collected in the holder.

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it
---------------------------------------------------
Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Tuned-Up Big Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerman View Post
nice project and it looks good....only thing i might have done diffent is at the very base where you brazed it ...i would have left a little hole to allow moisture from condensation and or rain to run out if it collected in the holder.

Boilerman there is a 3/16" hole right at the bottom od the sq. tube where it meets the plate that you can't see. Got it drainable. Thanks man. Most of the time around here the hole will be for dust and spiders to go through.
Actually you can barely see the hole in pic. 3.

Last edited by getatorch; 09-11-2008 at 11:02 AM.